Allpar Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, silly me, had the plugs wrong on firing order, it helped a ton, but still doesn't accelerate at top notch, still a timing issue. Gonna fiddle with it again next weekend. Man, it sure did feel good to drive it down the road though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Vacuum advance isn't needed. As a matter of fact a majority of the 413 and 440 engines run better with the vacuum advance plugged off. Remember, vacuum advance slowly advances the timing at cruise (especially) and during high vacuum, so low rpm the vacuum advance reduces itself, so, since big blocks like slower advance to begin with, the extra advance even at cruise isn't needed.

Go back to basics. Check the firing order first, make sure that is correct, then check the top dead center mark on the harmonic balancer, then pop the cap and see if it is pointing at number 1 or number 6 (both are good but still need to be close to one of the two wires), then grab the harmonic balancer and rock it to see if there is a bunch of play there. Play indicates a worn timing chain, which does make the timing bounce around a lot, or makes the valves open later and close later than they should. Next thing is to see how things look inside the distributor itself, no contaminants, not floating metal junk, twist the rotor and see if there is some movement with spring pressure that returns it to its original position (this needs to be kind of firm, but too tight is just as bad as too soft).
ok, now it won't start. the wires are in the correct order. the rotor button is on number one wire on the cap and the harmonic mark is facing the passenger side of the truck I've messed with the timing on it so much, I'm afraid I can't set it back correctly. I guess I need to get a mechanic out here.

·
Premium Member
20,150 Posts
Start with the basics to get it reset. Line up and verify TDC with the piston and the harmonic balancer, then set the rotor position. You may have a harmonic balancer that has spun the rubber portion, Verify TDC with the piston by removing the sparkplug and putting a plastic or wood dowel into the hole and rotate the piston to the top, then check the mark on the harmonic balancer, then check the rotor position to the wires. Remember, it may be 1 or 6, Go from there. She may have run like junk because the timing was off from the balancer being off its position.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok, I'll do that. Something is messed up somewhere. Hopefully I can get that fixed. It will be next weekend before I can do it. I left it at my friends house. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's Alive! IT'S ALIIIIVVEEEE!!!!!

It was the dang spark plugs, LOL. I took the number 1 out and it was toasted. Put the new one in and TaaDaaaahh, a running truck.

Now: When I accelerte, the valves rttle. I'm thinking it's bad gas in the tank that needs to be run out. I put fresh gas in it, about 5 gallons. It runs great, but the pinging.

Gonna need a new battery too, the one on there is old and has to be jumped.

·
Super Moderator
32,264 Posts
Rattle sounds like pinging from the ignition timing advanced too far. You might want to check that again.

What do you mean by toasted? If it's blistered and burned white, that indicates the above.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sounds like you're right Bob. Now the battery is dead, had to jump it anyway, now its so dead it won't even jump. But yeah, I'll get one and adjust the timing accordingly. Once I get it perfect it will be time for a victory drive.

·
Premium Member
20,150 Posts
The aftermarket distributor probably has a very fast performance advance curve I talked about earlier, it needs to be slowed down with a spring kit, noted above which ones to work best.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts