Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2003 Dodge Stratus 2.4L A604 trans with 198,000 miles on the whole thing.

I have a question about replacing the axle seals on the transmission. I read some other topics and they explained how to get the axles out which I already know how to do just fine but when it came to actually installing the seals there weren't any details. I'm not exactly sure how to get the old seal out and the new seal in, where to put the RTV if any is needed, and if I need to remove the outer race retainer for the diff. bearing. Would I need a seal installer or can I just hammer them in with a block of wood? I bought these seals on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170905904649?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 so hopefully those are the right ones. I read the green seals are what you need so those seem correct, not sure about the quality of them but anything for now is better than what's in there.

I also read about the seals failing because of the diff. bearings wearing and the whole assembly moves down and the axles wear the bottom of the seal out or makes it an oval shape. I noticed there's quite a bit of play and backlash in the diff. Is that adjustable? If not would putting new bearings in it fix the problem? I just want to do the whole seal replacement job once and try everything to make it not leak again for a really long time.

Lastly are there any other common leaks on the engine or transmission that I should address too? There's a growing puddle of oil and transmission fluid under the car.

Thanks for your time everyone, I know it's a lot of questions to ask but, I just needed more details on what to expect. and how to do the job right. Thanks again!

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
I used a seal puller set when I replaced the transmission on the Imperial to get the old ones off. To install the new ones, I used a piece of 2" diameter pipe to drive them into place.

Had the same concerns about the differential on my donor transmission. It had been rebuilt, but was leaking pretty badly from both axle seals. They were the original factory seals. In the end, I decided to trust that the ATRA shop did their job right and merely replaced the seals before it went into the Imperial.

That transmission hasn't leaked a drop of oil since. It's been almost a year now.

As far as the diff goes, IIRC it's only a problem if it has up and down play on each side causing the axles to wobble.

The seals I used were the newest factory part from the dealer... they were pre-lubed to help installation but I still coated my axles with fresh ATF+4 just in case. Didn't want the new seals getting damaged in any way during installation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds easy enough. After calling a dealer I found to adjust the preload on the diff. you need to install shims behind the outer bearing races, so that explains that. After looking at the seals that I got today, they seem to be pretty easy to install with a block of wood and a hammer, I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
The transaxle also needs to be out of the vehicle in order to R&R the differential for bearing replacement. I don't think that the slop is from carrier bearings, if it was there would be lots of gear noise. More likely from side gear/axle spline play. Some of which is normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah makes sense. I heard you need to remove the transfer/pinion shaft too to set it. I looked at the seals a second time since I know more about it and they look like you just pry them out and hammer the new ones in, pretty simple. No need to take the carrier bearing plate off.

I also just remembered about that idler gear pin in the differential that likes to slip out, I heard they started applying the tabs that hold it in, at the factory some time ago so hopefully I'm good there. I'll get some long needle nose pliers in there and see if I can move the pin back and forth and feel it stop on those tabs if they are installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts