Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with a leaking seal from the extension housing axle seal, where it connects with the right side CV axle? I just replaced the extension housing and seal. Got 200 miles before it started leaking fluid again. There are no bushings to be replaced, its all one unit. I saw the parts list for my VIN number at the dealer. There is a new race bearing that comes with the new housing.

Any ideas on what might be causing it to leak again. The seal is intact and good.

Thanks -D

·
Super Moderator
21,519 Posts
The inner CV axle journal that rides on the inside surface of the seal may be rough, nicked or grooved. This can rapidly wear out a replacement seal. It should be a smooth surface finish for the seal.
Give it a visual inspection for grooving and if your fingernail catches on it, the groove is to deep. A reman right axle may be the answer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inner boot was malforming and leaking grease so I changed it at the same time as the new extension housing. Both parts brand new.

What about the tranny gears that fit into the race bearings on the other end of the extension housing, where it fits to the tranny? If something is worn and not spinning on a good tight line, then that could wear on the race, malforming the race and causing loose fitting, and then more fluid running into the extension then out the seal with more pressure than it can handle?

·
Super Moderator
21,519 Posts
You will have some play in an unloaded axle where it enters the transaxle. It's normal. If the differential sidegears and/or shaft splines have excessively worn, it may cause a seal leak. The seal should be able to conform to some shaft play. Are these OEM parts? I have fitted a seal onto the axle joint before installation just to test and make sure that it was a firm fit.
You might want an experienced mechanic's opinion on this leak. At 240K miles(?), this may be a differential tapered roller bearing wear issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts