Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend replaced my solenoid pack on a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 "R" type motor with overdrive

I replaced the older unit (with spacer plate) with a rebuilt unit (i know some of you dont like the rebuilds)

the questions are ( i feel this can help alot of people out)

1. Re-Use spacer plate or not?

2. After replacing solenoid, got a ck engine light and went into limp mode (put old unit on and no limp mode) any idea's???

3. Does TCM need to be re-programmed after replacement of solenoid? and how to do so...

4. Why does tranny run good in limp mode with out shifting and so bad when not in limp mode?

5. Trust a rebuilt unit or ONLY new???

any help greatly appreciated and sure other's have had same or near same problems...

thanks alot board and feel free to add any and all knowledge....

·
Super Moderator
36,941 Posts
1) The instructions for the new unit should say if it requires a spacer or not, i would think.
2) If the transmission went into limp mode immediately on start up, either the electrical connection was bad or there's a fault with the new solenoid.
3) The only way to retrain the TCM after the replacement is with a scan tool. Otherwise, it will adapt as you drive it but may shift oddly until the TCM adapts.
4) That is the way it is designed. Limp mode uses 2nd gear only and no electronics. If it has issues outside second gear, it's either internal damage only to the components used in other gears or an electronic issue.
5) As with anything else, there are probably good and bad rebuilds.

But the big question is this - Why was the solenoid pack replaced to begin with? What errors were present that the solenoid pack was to address?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The gasket is different between the old spacer plate-style where 2 gaskets were required and the new non-spacer plate gasket style. If only one gasket came in the kit, don't use the spacer. I agree that the instructions that came with the kit should say this. The spacer plate hasn't been used since 1999-2000.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reason i replaced the solenoid pack is the trans is having shifting problems, bumps and lagging, not consistant shifting, sometimes will shift good from 1 to 2 and other times not, the 3 to 4 is good and overdrive is perfect. I wanted to eliminate the solenoid , and 2 sensors before goin to a transmission shop...

thanks for you help.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Any fault codes? The TCM (transmission control module) may require a special code reader to access fault codes.
How is the fluid and filter? You want only ATF+4 in this transaxle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts