Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted (succeded?) in stuffing a B or RB block into a second gen Dakota? Having pulled the 3.9 V6 from my 02 for a freshening, I'm familiar with underhood clearences, particularly the lack of head to firewall for even the V6 or LA 8's, let alone the RB collecting dust in the oily corner of my garage. Yea, I know a 5.2 or 5.9 can be made plenty strong, was looking to do something a little different. Whacha think guys, any ideas or opinions?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Try here

www.dakotart.com

Head to the forums. There are 2-3 guys there with 440 based 97-04 Dakotas... It IS doable. I think Shumaker even makes mounts for the swap.

Danno

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Plenty of room in there to make a 383/400/440 and a few in between fit in there. And yes, Schumacher does make motor mount conversion for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, I was surprised at the amount of info available after following the link "trail" provided by Dano. It's looking like a winter kind of mod, I'll post the successes along with the oops for those interested in following such foolishness! lol

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
oldodge said:
Thanks fellas, I was surprised at the amount of info available after following the link "trail" provided by Dano. It's looking like a winter kind of mod, I'll post the successes along with the oops for those interested in following such foolishness! lol
I go by Danno over there too. I am pretty well known, so if you need specific info hit me up and I will see if I can get it from one of the guys that did the swap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd like to see what a 440 could do in a little old Dakota

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I imagine it would do as well as an A body 440, maybe even handle a little better, especially if it is a short bed Dakota, weight is about the same, aero is going to be the downfall, heavier coils in the front may be a good idea what with an extra 200 lbs being on the nose of the truck (but it may simply get it down where it belongs, too).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I heard that the first Viper prototype used a Dakota front end. If it can handle a 10 cylinder it can handle a big block

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
This may be, but there are two different front end spring available if not mistaken. One for the 4cylinder and 3.9, another for the 5.2/5.9. I know a 440 weighs about 80 lbs more than a small block and the aluminum 484 is only slightly more than a 5.2/5.9, so as long as you have the V8 coil springs, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
And 4WD Dakotas, up to 2004, I think, had torsion bar front suspension.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
No torsion bar suspension on the up to 1995 that I know about, mine is just coil springs, coil against the lower control arm, not the top control arm.

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
No torsion bar suspension on the up to 1995 that I know about, mine is just coil springs, coil against the lower control arm, not the top control arm.
2WD = coils, 4WD = torsion bars. From 1987 to at least 2004.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Aaaaaa, 4WD, mine weren't, I stand halfway corrected! Thanks for teaching me something.

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
Along the same line, through 2004:
2WD used the coils and rack and pinion steering.
4WD used the torsion bars and a recirculating ball steering box.
I don't know about the 2005+ Dakotas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts