Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend brought over a 440 in a "basket" for me to assemble. I thought.. no problem as all the parts were new or rebuilt. When I came to putting on the water pump and that big cast piece it attaches to, maybe you would call it the water manifold?, I found that the big casting interferes with the timing cover and won't pull up tight to the block without crushing the timing cover. Obviously I have mis-matched parts here, but which one? What casting do I need? Or are they all the same? Is it the chain cover? Any help is welcome, thanks, Tranzman

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum first off.

The water pump housing is the same for all the B and RB blocks, so no reason why it wouldn't fit, even the industrial engines have the same mounting locations and as far as I know, shouldn't be different than car/truck engines (there is a water hose connection on the front of the heads for cooling sometimes, instead of a freeze plug), so, unless it is the timing cover itself, can't think of any reason why it wouldn't clear. With that in mind, have the surfaces been machined in any way, or do you have access to a different housing? The only thing I could possibly think of would be the engine was set up to have an engine plate mounted to the front of the engine, where they take a plate and bolt it to the front of the engine and the water pump mounting face is used as the mounting location and then the water pump housing would be shaved to ensure all the pulleys line up properly, but that would be a rarity, something you might find with a boxed engine that was a project for something else? This might be done if the engine came out of some form of industrial application, too. Timing cover isn't aftermarket or anything, is it? What year is the block itself? Probably easiest to get a replacement housing, they don't wear out very fast, and like I said, B and RB are the same.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I'm wondering if it's for a Mopar at all. GM used a similar type of pump and I wouldn't rule out a mistake...

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Some marine-application 440 engine cooling plumbing and parts were different than automobile/industrial cooling components.
Sometimes Googling a Chrysler part # will give you specific information on it. Look for the pentastar symbol or 7 digit part number.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
That, and I know some, if not all, of the marine engines rotate backwards, so the bearing tabs and such are backwards, which if not mistaken, does not work in a vehicle, but that's beside the point right now. Also check the casting marks on the outside of the block just to make sure your friend didn't get a bad deal on a basket case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts