Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my refreshed heads back for my 440 block. After installation and before I start the engine, do I need to oil any part of the head?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
If the rocker shafts were new or cleaned and installed dry I would pull them back off for lube. That will be the last place oil will go after the engine is fired up. The shafts are easy to gall other that that you should be good to go. There is a left and right hand shaft also and that is important as well for correct oiling.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Before the rocker shafts are installed, pour a little oil on the shaft across the rocker pivot locations, then torque the bolts, oil will get in there to prevent galling. Before the valve covers are put on, prime the oil pump and watch for excess oil to start flowing on the rocker arms, rotate the engine about a quarter turn prime, quarter turn, prime, which ensures air is out of that part of the system. To determine which arm is in the correct location, there is one hole on the rocker shaft that is larger than the others. From there, place it on the pedistal in the head for the rocker arms so the larger hole is on the pedistal with the extra hole in it (I believe it is the second from the left as you look at the head from the exhaust side). All the holes go down, not up, for oiling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the intel.. Can't wait for Saturday to get started, the car has been parked for way too long!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts