Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 440 Mopar engine and was wondering about a few things on it. I am wanting to put this engine in my barracuda to get it roadworthy again, but need an intake and carburetor first.

The intake manifold matches up with the screw holes and will bolt in nice, but there is a spot in the middle of the intake on both sides where there is a hole that does not match up with the intake manifold. I was thinking I have an intake manifold that does not fit my engine block, or if that is supposed to be like that.

I have two intakes, a quadrajet and a normal 4 barrel. Can you point me to which intake manifold is correct for my engine?

Engine Block Code: 4006630-440-3
Intake Code: 2806178 (4 barrel)
Intake Code: 3698444 (quadrajet)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ross; the rectangular port in the middle is a passageway for exhaust gases to flow thru. This heats up the intake manifold when the engine is cold. It must be sealed with the gasket. The upside down U-shaped opening is there to dissipate heat away from the heads and into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, that U shaped port is supposed to not be covered. Thanks, this is my first time restoring a car so i appreciate the help!

Will both of those intakes work on my engine then?

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
The short answer to your question is, yes, both will work on the 440 engine:

Intake manifolds from 440 Source.com

Which one you want to use depends on which carb you're set up for. The 2806178 should work with any Carter AVS. By Quadrajet, do you mean Thermoquad? The latter was the smog 4-bbl that Carter made during the 1970s; Quadrajet is a Rochester model, and I don't think Mopar used them until the mid-1980s, and then only in the 360s. What year Barracuda? Up to 1971, the AVS should work best, but from 1972 to 1974 models, the linkage may be set up for the Thermoquad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant by quadrajet the intake with 2 smaller primary's and 2 larger secondary holes rather than all four holes the same diameter.
http://bit.ly/1WQRfay

It is a 1967 barracuda, however the engine is not from that era, I believe the markings say it is from late 70s

·
Super Moderator
37,267 Posts
The proper names are square bore (all the holes the same) and spread bore (smaller primaries). The AVS carbs used a square bore and the Thermoquad used the spread bore.

Reactions: hemirunner426

·
Super Moderator
37,267 Posts
The short answer to your question is, yes, both will work on the 440 engine:

Intake manifolds from 440 Source.com

Which one you want to use depends on which carb you're set up for. The 2806178 should work with any Carter AVS. By Quadrajet, do you mean Thermoquad? The latter was the smog 4-bbl that Carter made during the 1970s; Quadrajet is a Rochester model, and I don't think Mopar used them until the mid-1980s, and then only in the 360s. What year Barracuda? Up to 1971, the AVS should work best, but from 1972 to 1974 models, the linkage may be set up for the Thermoquad.
Quadrajet was used from 1985 on 318s and 360s but 360s were truck only by then.

·
Super Moderator
37,267 Posts
My opinion is a properly tuned Thermoquad is a great choice. But few people know how to properly set one up. I sure do not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, thanks for the info, valiant67. I think I'm planning on using my square bore intake I have. Have to clean up the intake and get a carburetor for it, then it should be good.

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
I don't think the 440 was an optional engine for the '67 Barracuda, but the 383 was available the next year, and Mopar also put Hemis in them before the '70 model year, so perhaps it will fit. If you can't find an AVS, Edelbrock makes some good carbs that are based on the AVS. You might also want to make sure the accelerator cable will work.

Quadrajet was used from 1985 on 318s and 360s but 360s were truck only by then.
Thanks for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
440 was optional in 1969. Special exhaust manifolds. No power steering/brakes.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Carter AVS, not exactly square.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ross; keep in mind that you are building a front heavy, hard steering, hard stopping, low traction car. You can build a 360 stroker motor with a six pack on top and PS and PB that would be more fun to drive ---- and easier to assemble and get parts for. However, less cool factor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts