Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will swap my old 318 to a 440 in my 1968 station wagon, I have a lot of questions, some of their was answer reading this forums. I know that I have to upgrade rear end to 8.75 if I had the 8.25 rear end, I was looking photos to identify my rear end, and I think the car has a Dana 44 rear end, I read that is a 8.5 rear end. It could be enough for an almost stock 440? thank you

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
What model 1968 wagon do you have??

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Your almost stock 440 have the same torq as an pepped one, torque is mostly a factor of displacement as long as you dont boost it.
- 7 1/4" wont cut it, its weak already behind a slant.
- 8 1/4" is fine if you dont use your 440, marginal but i works for calm driving.
- 8 3/4" is a good one but they are getting scarse to find.
- 9 1/4" is also a sturdy piece used up to 20..ish in trucks, its probably the best axle of the bunch unless you really need the capacity of a Dana 60. Its also an axle that nobody recognises for what it is so they are usually cheap.
- Dana 60 is a sturdy one..
Shortening a raer axle isnt all that difficult if you buy new driveshafts.
- i seriously doubts that you have a Dana 44 under there. The factory didnt use em..

Reactions: jormymex

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your answers, The station wagon is a 1968 dodge coronet, I forgot to say. In the rear end´s image it look more like a 7 1/4, but is not the same, definitly is not a 8 1/4, in other images that I saw in internet is pretty much similar to dana 44 (image below) Other important thing is that it is a mexican building coronet, and some times it has differences with US o Canadian made. I will post a photo of the rear end, when I can take one. Maybe the best option is go for the 8 3/4 in the future

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
A correct 8 3/4" is a bolt in but youy may need to either change the driveshaft or get conversion u joints . Actually its viser to get a correct drive shaft since they are sturdier. ( its quite easy to buy a kit and cut it to the right lenght and weld the yoke on it.)

Reactions: jormymex

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, about your advices, I will go to 8 3/4, but in a theoric question: The dana 44 can handle a Big Block? I searched in internet but I can´t found anything. I suppose no.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I don't recognize this axle assembly, anyone else??

Last time I visited Mexico I was impressed with many of the differences.

RWD Darts didn't have concave backlites like N/A Darts.

K Cars could have Turbo II Engines

Lots of cool things

Thanks
Randy

QUOTE="jormymex, post: 1085131245, member: 105741"]

there is a photo of a mexican coronet rear axle, not actually mine,.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In other photograph of these rear axle, the ring number is DANA 18426, I saw and its a dana 44 3.31. Unfortunately I can´t take this week a photo of my own differential.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
A Quick search indicates that it can live behind a 440 and survive, but it looks like its a bit of a gamble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts