Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the heads (69' date code) machined and "freshened up" in November on my 440. I got the heads back and threw them on the car and everything seemed fine before I stored the car for winter (live in Wisconsin). I just fired the car up this past weekend and noticed that the front freeze plug on the drivers side head and the rear freeze plug on the passanger side have a small coolant leak (more so on the front drivers side). Does anyone know if this is a leak that might improve with more hours on the new heads or if once they leak they will always leak? Also, is there an easy fix to this problem without replacing the plugs (clearance issues on the passanger side)? I called the machine shop and they said that they would fix the plugs if I brought them in but I hate to loose another weekend ripping the heads off and putting them back on.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
they wont improve...
but you can try a can of bars leak or GM coolant tablets

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I don't recommend Bars Stop Leak in anything. It will clog your heater core and possibly your radiator. If it were me, I'd take them back off and go back to the shop where I had them done and demand they repair them free of charge. Any time I've ever replaced freeze plugs, I've always used a small bead of Permatex around the edge, just to help seal them. Never had any problems with leaks like that. Maybe they didn't get the correct size freeze plugs?

·
Registered
647 Posts
stop leak made by Prestone is a good product and dosn't have the rubber pellets that bars leaks has it dosn't gum up heater cores like the bars, that being said the right way is to pull the heads and re-seal them as it sounds like it wasn't done properly the first time, if it were me I would try the stop leak first

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't recall the geometry of the "440"; however I have changed Chrysler product freeze plugs from that era and don't remember it being all that difficult nor expensive. You could replace them yourself properly or you might consider taking it to a shop and getting an estimate for replacing them and taking that estimate to the machine shop and threaten them with a report to the Better Busines Bureau or a Small Claims action.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
"I don't recommend Bars Stop Leak in anything. It will clog your heater core and possibly your radiator."
"stop leak made by Prestone is a good product and dosn't have the rubber pellets that bars leaks has"
Well ive used it numerous times and never had any problem with it.
And no- it doesent contain rubberballs!
-Its the only stop leak product ive found to work...
-GM tablets contains the same sealer
Read the instructions before use, dont pour it into the overflow bottle!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts