Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the course of a year, I have had to replace my transmission pan gasket at least 4 times. Each time, it will develop a leak on the front driver side in the corner of the pan (Most noticeable on the ground when I park down hill) and in a couple other small places around the pan itself. I have checked sensors and everything on the transmission case for leakage in other spots just in case it wasn't the pan / gasket to no avail. Lately I have just been letting it leak then just top off as needed. Keep in mind it's not a lot (Just enough to be annoying!).

I have taken the pan off plenty of times before and have tried rubber gaskets as well as AT RTV (Not the two combined of course) and it still seeps.

What I am wondering is if the pan may be bent / warped? If so, I know they don't sell basic "44RE" transmission pans that aren't cast aluminum and under $200, but as far as I am aware the "A904" pan has the same bolt pattern, and I can find those on Summit starting at $50 for a basic steel one (Including drain plug, which is helpful). Would that pan work if I decided to change the pans out?

Just want to make sure if anyone has run into this before and if they know whether or not the oil pans are compatible.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4007886/?rtype=10

Thanks!

1997 Dodge Dakota
SLT Club Cab
5.2L Magnum V8
289,000 miles

·
Registered
266 Posts
For a 97 Dakota 44RE

New Mopar parts
4295875AC plastic with rubber seal insert reusable gasket $15.28
52118806 Tranny pan $71.96
6036330AA bolts $0.60 need 14

Note provide by Mopar for new gasket
TORQUE LIMITER ON THE NEW GASKET. IT MUST BE TORQUED AS FOLLOWS:145MIN IN. LBS. -165NOMINAL IN.LBS.- 185MAX IN. LBS. NEW BOLTS W/WASHER ARE REQUIRED FOR NEW GASKET TO PREVENT DAMAGING THE OIL PAN PAINT.

Steven

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought about using the original reusable gasket. I'll probably try that soon.

However, instead of buying ing the original pan again, could I get the other I listed above while using the gasket you listed? To me, the drain plug makes it worth it.

Just a thought.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
36,938 Posts
I was under the impression that the OD pan was deeper than the old 904 pan though the gaskets were the same.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I looked up a gasket for an old 88 Ram p/u with a A-999 transmission. The gasket changed to the reusable gasket and bolts listed above. So I would speculate that it would work.

Also the summit product is a Mopar Performance part. New Mopar number is P4007886AB found on page 119 in the 2011 performance catalog. List $64.95. I am not sure the performance gasket is reusable or not. You can contact the performance hotline at 888-528-4364 to try to find out.

Steven

1 - 5 of 5 Posts