Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you mean a newer Durango
Yes Durango is a 2000 2wd. I have the cab sitting on the frame but have a lot of questions for someone who has done it and be willing to share their experience. My truck is a 45 and wheelbase length is right on.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Yes Durango is a 2000 2wd. I have the cab sitting on the frame but have a lot of questions for someone who has done it and be willing to share their experience. My truck is a 45 and wheelbase length is right on.
Is that durango frame the same as a Dakota frame/?

·
Super Moderator
37,234 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Up front, yes. Passenger compartment back different.
So the Dakota has the offset engine and tranny??? Cab fits nice in position it needs to be in. PU bed will fit fine. Looks like the 5.7 L will have to be moved back a bit?? Maybe 6"? Don't have exact measurement yet. Motor mounts look to be a problem. Is there a forum where folks have done this modification?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I know there are quite a few body swaps on YouTube based on the Durango; at least one Willys pickup and a few Studebakers. Body swaps are quite a challenge though- if you move the sheet metal around to where the engine fits under the hood, the wheels don't line up. If you line up the wheels, you typically have to do quite a bit of cutting and fitting to get the body around the engine. If you move the engine to fit, then you typically run into oil pan issues with the front crossmember or steering.

Body swaps aren't for the faint of heart, and you have to resign yourself to the fact that you ARE going to screw up some part of it. But if you decide what problem to start with, and then solve them one after the other, you will find that there are few mistakes which you can't fix with a hacksaw and a welder. I doubt very much though you will find a how-to guide until you write one.

Check out a YouTube channel called "Mike's Jeeps", he put a 1950 Willys body on a 2005 Durango. You might get some ideas from his pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts