Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!
MoparHubcap4x4x300_102015_171542.jpg
I am trying to ID this cap. I have 4, but one is damaged & not usable.
Looked at 800 ads on ebay, & hundreds of Google images, & cannot find another.
Any help for year, make, & model, would be appreciated.
Anyone with one or more to sell, would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
John at oldmoparguy at comcast dot net

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Looks like a 1982 Cordoba ....

Thanks
Randy

·
Super Moderator
37,703 Posts
Used on several cars' Cordoba like mentioned plus Dodge Diplomat.
There were several variations on the center emblem (LeBaron eagle, Cordoba coin, etc.). But the Pentastar center was the most common as unique center emblems tended to go away after 1980.
80-81 Cordoba, 80-81 Imperial, 84-87 Diplomat (there may be more, I don't have my interchange book unpacked yet).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There were several variations on the center emblem (LeBaron eagle, Cordoba coin, etc.). But the Pentastar center was the most common as unique center emblems tended to go away after 1980.
80-81 Cordoba, 80-81 Imperial, 84-87 Diplomat (there may be more, I don't have my interchange book unpacked yet).
Thanks for the input. At least now I know where to start looking!

·
Super Moderator
21,620 Posts
I see a Mopar part # of 4126626 for the wheel cover and 4126946 for the center pentastar decal. I do get some Google hits on them.

Reactions: oldmoparguy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see a Mopar part # of 4126626 for the wheel cover and 4126946 for the center pentastar decal. I do get some Google hits on them.
Thanks for the info. The center badge is a piece of stainless with an applied, back decorated, plastic Pentastar. There are no "stickers". I keep seeing the same one for $18 that has a big scrape on it. The other one is a set of 4. I already have 4 with 1 bad one. Still looking!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, this is really helpful. Still need to find one. The one on eBay is scraped pretty badly.

·
Super Moderator
37,703 Posts
I've found them on several hubcap sites with a Google search, under Dodge Diplomat.

Reactions: oldmoparguy

·
Registered
567 Posts
OK found them here in the part books:

1985 F,G,B bodies

1986-87 M Bodies

4126626 wheel cover 1985-87 M Bodies don't have
4126946 decal Have these NOS of you need them. 1982-87. So these were used on other wheel covers too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK found them here in the part books:

1985 F,G,B bodies

1986-87 M Bodies

4126626 wheel cover 1985-87 M Bodies don't have
4126946 decal Have these NOS of you need them. 1982-87. So these were used on other wheel covers too.
Thanks Marty!
I did find them on the 82-83 Cordoba brochure. Pretty sure they never used "decals" or "stickers" on wheels & hubcaps. I worked in the product5 identity studio at Chrysler in the '90s and never saw any old or later use of decals in that role. Got a photo? What is the description in the part book?
Don't know if you can post a pic in reply so here is email OldMoparGuy at comcast dot net. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
37,703 Posts
They may not have been a true sticker or decal but the various emblems were adhesive backed and stuck on the middle of the wheel cover. I think appliqué was the word they used sometimes for them. The same wheel cover you are looking for had a stuck on center emblem or decal that could be a pentastar, Cordoba coin, LeBaron eagle, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They may not have been a true sticker or decal but the various emblems were adhesive backed and stuck on the middle of the wheel cover. I think appliqué was the word they used sometimes for them. The same wheel cover you are looking for had a stuck on center emblem or decal that could be a pentastar, Cordoba coin, LeBaron eagle, etc.
Actually, I have a number of those Cordoba coin badges that were used on the sides of the car & the interior if anyone needs some!

·
Registered
266 Posts
GENE STEFFY AUTO GROUP FREMONT NE USA Phone: (402)-727-8550 / (800)-642-7033
Shows the wheel cover 4126626 on the dealer locate system.

·
Super Moderator
37,703 Posts
And just to show the people who called the center emblem a "decal" were not crazy, here is the page from the 1982 parts catalog:
covers.png

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you know if they actually were stickers? (decals are usually a water slide process called decal-mania and never used on cars) I have seen 5 such hubcaps & they are all 2nd surface paint & vacuum metalizing acrylic plastic, Only aftermarket have actual peel & stick "decals".

Even the Chrysler Atlantic concept car had handmade epoxy wings, chrome plated, held on by aggressive 3M 2-sided tape. Until they were ripped off or fell off, replaced by stickers as used on Chrysler catalogs. Look at the wheels next time you see this car & compare it to early photos in concept car books.

·
Super Moderator
37,703 Posts
Do you know if they actually were stickers? (decals are usually a water slide process called decal-mania and never used on cars) I have seen 5 such hubcaps & they are all 2nd surface paint & vacuum metalizing acrylic plastic, Only aftermarket have actual peel & stick "decals".

Even the Chrysler Atlantic concept car had handmade epoxy wings, chrome plated, held on by aggressive 3M 2-sided tape. Until they were ripped off or fell off, replaced by stickers as used on Chrysler catalogs. Look at the wheels next time you see this car & compare it to early photos in concept car books.
Unless it was a raised emblem, the "decal" material was usually a piece of metal, printed on one side, sticky on the other. Why they chose "decal" as the term, who knows?
The center emblem, in your case a Pentastar, was made with a glue or tape on back, much like the emblems and side trim applied to the cars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great help! They do have just the cap, at $90 or less. Looking on eBay for the badge...
Tried every combo of Chrysler, Mopar, pentastar, badge, decal, emblem, & 4126-946 (part number of badge on cap) with no hits at all. Still prefer to find a good used one. Local wheel store had a Diplomat one with the eagle but it had 3 circular concentric lines that looked like a spinning operation stopped & started. Good condition, but the lines are really prominent & not gonna work. Tried to upload a file photo, but got rejected as too large no matter how small.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts