Allpar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 charger Daytona, what should the normal operating temp range, stock tstat, radiator full, 90 degree weather no a.c. running, cooling fans running. I'm getting 215 - 225, with a.c. it runs up to 234. Is this a normal range

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
How are you measuring the engine temp? And what conditions are getting these temps? Just at idle with the vehicle NOT moving, or do you get the same temps with the vehicle moving at high way speeds?

I don't know the exact specs for this engine/vehicle combination, BUT, usually the water temp should be the same as the thermostat at most places the engine water temp is measured. Just about all Chrysler Engines that is 191°F to 195°F. There are spots in the water jacket that the actual water temp will vary, so some aftermarket water temp gauges that have the sensor installed in water jacket drain plugs or freeze plugs may show a different temp than is measured for the PCM or the gauge on the dash.

Some vehicles, the engine temp might climb 10-20° before the fan turns on to cool it off within 10-20 seconds to the normal temp of 195°F, it might cycle up and down in some situations like that when sitting stopped at idle. But maintaining 225°F, assuming your measuring the temp at the water pump/thermostat which is shown on the dash gauge, is NOT normal.

The cooling system should have the additional capacity to run the AC without the engine water temp increasing. The fact your engine water temp is going up while you run the AC indicates something is wrong with the cooling system and it has reduced capacity.

1.) Check coolant level, that means inside the cooling system, NOT just the level at the overflow bottle. Only with the engine cool, open the pressure cap and make sure the coolant comes up to within 1" of the filler neck top. A leak can cause air to be sucked back into the cooling system, instead of overflow coolant in the overflow jug. Chargers/Challengers at one point went to an open cooling system, with the pressure cap on the overflow jug, in these systems, there will NOT be any difference in the coolant level in the jug and the rest of the system. And you can tell, because the only pressure cap on the system is on the jug.
2.) The OEM coolant of this era Chrysler is likely HOAT, with a 5year/100k mi life. Is the vehicle overdue for new coolant? Service it if that is true. Personally, I change the thermostat when changing coolant.
3.) Check for leaks, check the system maintains pressure, squeeze the radiator hoses when its cool, then squeeze the hoses when its hot, the hoses should be significantly harder from pressure being held inside, it they are NOT it might be as simple as a bad pressure cap.
4.) Check the engine fan comes on, or if it has a viscous clutch engine driven fan, the viscous clutch isn't worn out. NOT enough airflow through the radiator will cause hot running, more so at slow speeds and stopped at idle.

The cooling ability of the coolant doesn't degrade with time, what degrades with time is the anti-corrosion additives. Meaning, worn out coolant won't make your engine run hotter, but worn out coolant will let your cooling system corrode, water pumps suffer erosion, worn out additives can form solids that clog the system and damage can occur to the cooling system to make it run hot. So if you haven't kept up with the cooling system maintenance, you may have some damage to repair.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you measuring the engine temp? And what conditions are getting these temps? Just at idle with the vehicle NOT moving, or do you get the same temps with the vehicle moving at high way speeds?

I don't know the exact specs for this engine/vehicle combination, BUT, usually the water temp should be the same as the thermostat at most places the engine water temp is measured. Just about all Chrysler Engines that is 191°F to 195°F. There are spots in the water jacket that the actual water temp will vary, so some aftermarket water temp gauges that have the sensor installed in water jacket drain plugs or freeze plugs may show a different temp than is measured for the PCM or the gauge on the dash.

Some vehicles, the engine temp might climb 10-20° before the fan turns on to cool it off within 10-20 seconds to the normal temp of 195°F, it might cycle up and down in some situations like that when sitting stopped at idle. But maintaining 225°F, assuming your measuring the temp at the water pump/thermostat which is shown on the dash gauge, is NOT normal.

The cooling system should have the additional capacity to run the AC without the engine water temp increasing. The fact your engine water temp is going up while you run the AC indicates something is wrong with the cooling system and it has reduced capacity.

1.) Check coolant level, that means inside the cooling system, NOT just the level at the overflow bottle. Only with the engine cool, open the pressure cap and make sure the coolant comes up to within 1" of the filler neck top. A leak can cause air to be sucked back into the cooling system, instead of overflow coolant in the overflow jug. Chargers/Challengers at one point went to an open cooling system, with the pressure cap on the overflow jug, in these systems, there will NOT be any difference in the coolant level in the jug and the rest of the system. And you can tell, because the only pressure cap on the system is on the jug.
2.) The OEM coolant of this era Chrysler is likely HOAT, with a 5year/100k mi life. Is the vehicle overdue for new coolant? Service it if that is true. Personally, I change the thermostat when changing coolant.
3.) Check for leaks, check the system maintains pressure, squeeze the radiator hoses when its cool, then squeeze the hoses when its hot, the hoses should be significantly harder from pressure being held inside, it they are NOT it might be as simple as a bad pressure cap.
4.) Check the engine fan comes on, or if it has a viscous clutch engine driven fan, the viscous clutch isn't worn out. NOT enough airflow through the radiator will cause hot running, more so at slow speeds and stopped at idle.

The cooling ability of the coolant doesn't degrade with time, what degrades with time is the anti-corrosion additives. Meaning, worn out coolant won't make your engine run hotter, but worn out coolant will let your cooling system corrode, water pumps suffer erosion, worn out additives can form solids that clog the system and damage can occur to the cooling system to make it run hot. So if you haven't kept up with the cooling system maintenance, you may have some damage to repair.

Thanks for the response. These engine temps are at normal driving conditions in 90 degree weather, I'm reading these not from the needle gauge on dash but from nav/computer readings. The only pressure cap is on the overflow jug.Had the radiator flushed an refilled with proper hoat fluid an new 203 degree tstat, no visible leaks in the system. After flush, temps with no a.c. while driving 220 with a.c. 225. This vechile has never run temps below 208. Just thought current temps might be high,it does have a few bolt ons added n mds is off n has a high performance program on it , not sure if that would make a difference or not.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Ok, well we know the operating temp for your Hemi should be 203°F, a few degree higher than most motors, but that is the figure you should see plus/minus a few degrees.

Nav/Computer readings? So you're using the OEM Nav Radio that has a feature to read out some engine data? Engine temp to single degree's is one of them? Or are you plugging some device into the OBDII port to read the temp?

Cause there may be some error in the figures being read out and the actual engine temp. But, at the same time, you've noticed it is running warmer than usual and it jumps up with the AC on. AC will increase the cooling load, but the cooling system is designed to handle it, i.e. the temp should NOT jump up when you turn on the AC.

So, likely there is something wrong with the cooling system that it is degraded somewhat and your engine runs hotter than it should.

You need to do the steps to trouble shoot that I put up already in the earlier post. Again a bad pressure cap would reduce the cooling capacity of the system, you can tell if the system is holding pressure by feeling the hoses when they are hot, the hoses should be hard because there is pressure within them and they will NOT give when you squeeze them. If the hoses are soft, likely you have a bad pressure cap or a leak somewhere in the system.

Have you checked the cooling fan? Does it have an electric fan or an engine driven fan? If its an engine drive fan, likely the fan is on a viscous clutch, and those clutches wear out and will NOT move enough air and cause the motor to run hotter. You can test them to see if they are good/bad.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Oh, keep in mind the safety items.
1.) You never open a cooling system while it is warm or at operating temp or even hotter. The pressure in the warm system will cause the coolant to spray out and burn you.
2.) You never put your hands by a fan when the motor is running. If its an electric fan never while the ignition is on and even when the ignition is off, but the engine is hot. Some vehicles will turn on the electric fan even with the ignition off.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I don't think you are as far from normal at hose higher temps as you think.
I've seen a lot of people saying these cars run from 200º to 220+º depending on ambient air temperature, A/C use, vehicle speed, etc.
As long as it's not boiling over there probably isn't a problem.
I don't have the EVIC to monitor this on my 2007 Magnum Hemi (but I could hook up my scanner and see) but I may see where the 3.6 runs in my 2015 Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
A bit more info:
The factory thermostat is not designed to be fully opened to 220º, so the radiator won't always be keeping the temp at 203º (for a 203º thermostat for example).
I think there are two stages for the radiator fans, low speed on at around 209º, high speed on around 219º.

Reactions: MPE426HEMI

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
What adds to the confusion, the temps will be different at different parts of the cooling system in different conditions. That is why the overall engine temp is often measured at the thermostat/water pump (they are NOT in the same location in most engines anymore). Because that is where the cool/hot coolant mix and will always be an average of the temps.

Many older Jeeps, with AMC based engines, had a temp sensor in the head for gauge on the dash. And unlike many other vehicles, that resulted in the temp gauge moving up and down in different conditions, while most vehicles the gauge just moves to the operating temp and stays there not moving at all (unless something is wrong).

If you suspect something "might" be wrong, it can't hurt to confirm the system holding proper pressure and the fan operating like it should.

Another good piece of info, might be learning where the sensor is located that is providing the temp figures you're reading. If that sensor is in the head or somewhere in the water jacket other than thermostat or water pump, then it would NOT be surprising to see the variations you've talked about.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
A bit more info:
The factory thermostat is not designed to be fully opened to 220º, so the radiator won't always be keeping the temp at 203º (for a 203º thermostat for example).
I think there are two stages for the radiator fans, low speed on at around 209º, high speed on around 219º.
Yep, I'm thinking of a majority of vehicles where they measure the temp (place the temp sensor) at the thermostat/water pump. In those cases, when the thermostat starts to open and mix with radiator cooled coolant, the temp stays steady right around the opening temp of the thermostat. Sounds like the Hemi or at least in the Charger, the temp is measured somewhere else for this readout? Or does the Hemi run hot enough, it actually gets temp surges at the thermostat/water pump?

NOT that changes what you're saying, but most Chrysler went to PWM fan control for infinitely adjustable speeds, perhaps the figures are the fan starts in lowest speed at 209° and steadily increases to full speed by 219°?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.......I'm going to change the coolant temp sensor tomorrow, it's located on the side of the water pump. A friend of mine had an overheating problem on his 05 magnum 5.7 an it fixed it. The readings are from the factory EVIC which displays things like oil pressure , ave mpg, engine temp etc..both electric cooling fans are working.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I Think it sounds like its nothing but ok, remember newer Engines runs way warmer than old ones.
Temp gauge- in the middle or?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2007 charger Daytona, what should the normal operating temp range, stock tstat, radiator full, 90 degree weather no a.c. running, cooling fans running. I'm getting 215 - 225, with a.c. it runs up to 234. Is this a normal range
I see this post is a year old but would like to comment on it. I have a 2006 Daytona and noticed the temperature last weekend when I drove it was at 231 on the open road. Today it was 226 on open road. Scanned it, no codes, fans are working correctly, coolant is fine. My temp hand is in the middle and nothing indicates this is too hot.

Did you ever figure out why yours was running hot - mine has never stayed at 203 but normally around 215 - 216 and on up to the 231 I mentioned.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Thanks guys.......I'm going to change the coolant temp sensor tomorrow, it's located on the side of the water pump. A friend of mine had an overheating problem on his 05 magnum 5.7 an it fixed it. The readings are from the factory EVIC which displays things like oil pressure , ave mpg, engine temp etc..both electric cooling fans are working.
I'm nit-picking, but if the temp sensor solved the problem it wasn't an overheating problem, it was a bad sensor indicating erroneous temperatures. Regardless, it solved the problem, and that is what you meant.

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
I see this post is a year old but would like to comment on it. I have a 2006 Daytona and noticed the temperature last weekend when I drove it was at 231 on the open road. Today it was 226 on open road. Scanned it, no codes, fans are working correctly, coolant is fine. My temp hand is in the middle and nothing indicates this is too hot.

Did you ever figure out why yours was running hot - mine has never stayed at 203 but normally around 215 - 216 and on up to the 231 I mentioned.
Mine usually stays around 215-219. I cant say I've ever noticed it much higher than this. I don't live in a normally hot climate however. From what info I've been able to find on this in the past, the 5.7 is designed to run at 215 (approx). Thermostat opens at 203, Low Fan cut in @209, High Fan cut in @219.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.