Allpar Forums banner

5.7L Hemi Will Live Through 2022

20K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  Devildodge 
#1 ·
I haven't been able to find any of this info anywhere so I thought I would share...

I have been heavily involved with bringing a new front engine cover for the 5.7L Hemi to production. The main difference is this new cover has provisions for an automatic start/stop system set to be introduced on the Ram trucks in 2018. The supplier tasked with producing the cover has signed a contract for 390,000 parts per year with volume increases up to 500,000 through 2022. This conflicts with Allpar's prediction that the 5.7L will end production next year.

#3 ·
Allpar simply hasn't updated their info, many sources have also confirmed this. Thanks for the info and confirmation but please be careful posting. We don't want your job affected by posting info.

Agreed 5.7 is here for a bit longer. Allpar News recently covered one of the potential replacements that is under development.

Mike

#5 ·
OOOOH HEMI with Start/Stop..I like it! That could really help boost MPGs. Which is always icing on the cake and helps to keep V8s viable. That alone could possibly bump the HEMI's MPGs past EcoBust's....they basically get the same MPGs as it stands now in the real world.
LONG LIVE THE HEMI V8!

Reactions: guyverfanboy
#7 ·
I agree, Its been stagnant for a bit now. Going on five years. If I didnt like the whole truck as a package so much I probably would've moved on a few years ago for that reason alone. No Bueno RAM. They got to bump it up

#11 ·
I have heard that the 5.7 will break 400, and the 6.4 will also get a commensurate power boost. (They can't have both engines with output numbers starting with 4.). Both will get HP increases, along with torque increases. Nothing huge, just incremental, but enough to make a "real" difference.

These were from sources that would not commit absolutely. So, more than rumor, less than fact.

#15 ·
I have heard that the 5.7 will break 400, and the 6.4 will also get a commensurate power boost. (They can't have both engines with output numbers starting with 4.). Both will get HP increases, along with torque increases. Nothing huge, just incremental, but enough to make a "real" difference.

These were from sources that would not commit absolutely. So, more than rumor, less than fact.
Thanks for the info.
More than rumor, less than fact is not acceptable. FCA/RAM needs to crap or get off the pot. People are going to lose patience. The 4th gen RAM has had an awesome run and "Dodge" has a history of complaisance. But times are different and you just cant do that anymore. Its hard not to notice that they keep pushing things back and delaying projects. Hopefully when they do finally get these new products to market they are worth the wait.
As to the power numbers, after being stuck at 395 for five years, they really need more than an "incremental" bump in power. I hope it really is enough for a "real" difference. If not, its a swing and a miss.

#16 ·
Some of the current trucks have factory mod's that would push the 5.7L over 400 horsepower even though they aren't marketed that way... example Ram 1500 night edition... gets Mopar cold air intake and Mopar cat back exhaust standard... so you are tell me with a cold air intake and cat back exhaust there isn't a horsepower gain? Especially at least 5 horsepower?

Ram 1500 Night - Special Edition Truck (at http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/limited-editions/ram-1500/night/ )

As for the 5.7L in the cars, all 5.7L HEMI "Eagle" engines this year come from the factory with an SRT electronic exhaust from the 392 and a standard Mopar cold air intake... yet the horsepower and torque number's are the same.

Just something to think about..

#31 ·
Some of the current trucks have factory mod's that would push the 5.7L over 400 horsepower even though they aren't marketed that way... example Ram 1500 night edition... gets Mopar cold air intake and Mopar cat back exhaust standard... so you are tell me with a cold air intake and cat back exhaust there isn't a horsepower gain? Especially at least 5 horsepower?

Ram 1500 Night - Special Edition Truck (at http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/limited-editions/ram-1500/night/ )

As for the 5.7L in the cars, all 5.7L HEMI "Eagle" engines this year come from the factory with an SRT electronic exhaust from the 392 and a standard Mopar cold air intake... yet the horsepower and torque number's are the same.

Just something to think about..
I've seen a couple of reviews for 2017 5.7 R/T's and they don't appear to have CAI's. One of the owner's replied that only the Daytona 5.7 has the CAI as far Chargers go. The lower trim only has the exhaust (which is fine with me!). I'm just curious about the facts here. I'm talking about Charger/Challengers just to be clear. IDK about trucks.

#17 ·
Yes, what Mopar has always done, underrated performance. Pretty soon the insurance is gonna go up just based on hp numbers, so ya get to have a little more fun and a little cheaper cost.

Makes me wonder how much there is left open in the 6.4 in the Heavy duty. There was lots of power left over in the V10 because of the eras transmissions. But, unfortunately the cheap upgrades of the Cummins never let the V10 really breath

#18 ·
What I'm wondering is....From a technical standpoint.....How much life is left in the 6.4 compared to the 5.7?

If at some point the 5.7 is phased out......what would be so awful about a 6.4 with 2 cylinders lopped off? For lack of a better name, call it "the 294 V6". In theory, this "294 V6" could serve as a replacement for the 5.7 (if turbo / supercharging is used). And....it might even be less expensive to turn out than the 3.6?

It never hurts to think a bit "outside-the-box".;)

#19 ·
No need for a V6 when there is a good turbo 4 cylinder. Moving away from V6 engines is "outside of the box" actually.

As for V8, the Hemi will live on for specific applications, but more than likely only have one displacement instead of three.

Mike

#20 ·
Is there any hope for a larger V8 in the Heavy trucks...or is my worst fear going to happen and the gasoline will be gone for good and Cummins will be the only option...I would be perfectly ok with a twin turbo straight six in the powerwagon, but the heavy haulers I would like to see mds further advanced and a big V8 or a return of the V10 with a supercharger to get the power and maybe...Ok I realize I have gone to dream world...better just get a 2017 powerwagon and call it done...my wife...are you listening we better get it...sigh
Sorry off topic but it started with the post of not having the 2 hemi engines in the 400 horse range meaning one should go to 500...sigh

#26 ·
The 5.7 eagle plastic intake is already not a bad intake and a huge improvement over the original... but There is always room for additional improvement. Note the truck intake is different.

Mike

#30 ·
The real benefit is the additional TQ the 6.4L intake provides below 4600-4800 rpm's...more so than the additional HP above 4800 when it switches to the short runners.
Just seems it would be better to just make one intake for both engines than two.
Plus it just looks so much better under the hood....and you wouldn't need to put that big 5.7 Hemi cover on.

#34 ·
Changes to the intake allow for changes to the camshaft to really utilize the flow and runner length adjustment.

Mike

#43 ·
No active exhaust on the 300.

Active exhaust is only available on Charger R/T, Charger R/T 392 (Scat Pack & Daytona), and Charger SRT models.

The majority of Charger's sold are V6 without the active exhaust.

Mike

#44 ·
The quietness of my Charger SXT is one of the things I like most about it. I wouldn't mind more power, but I'm not interested in a loud car. The next gen Charger, at a few hundred pounds lighter, and with the PUG, is going to be a really nice vehicle. I will consider the 5.7L on my next Charger, but if I can't get it in a quiet form, then I'll stick with the Pentastar.

#55 ·
410HP / 429 ft-lb. That's 27HP / 29 ft-lbs more than the 5.7.
Just seems like it should be substantially higher than that. That being said, if the trans is the reason that the HD gas trucks aren't competitive, that needs attention. I looked it up and the 6.4 actually is better than GM's 6.0 and Ford's 6.2 on paper, but during testing they often best the 6.4?

#56 ·
But being an owner of a 6.4 ... the torque is always there so the numbers don't seem higher but the power curve is nothing but awesome:D... it is the tranny that is the down fall.. I often wonder if the 68RFE would make a diff over the 66RFE.. to help I use tow/haul mode more often then not. Have looked up upgrades for the 66RFE and that will happen.

#57 ·
You have to remember the 6.4 heavy duty is designed for the long haul. It is designed for the Ram 2500 to run at full capacity for extended periods. It is not even close to the same engine in the cars.

I don't even research the other brands, but I would bet the 6.4 is much better than the reviews make it.

I drive a 99 V10 Ram and it completely out performs the 5.7 Hemi in my 2003 Ram. All day long, but if you just hope in each truck to scream around town real quick...you would say the Hemi is the better performer.

And the 6.4 was also designed to utilize MDS.

Now...7.7 l Hemi...I want that

#60 ·
The automatics are amazing, but the 6.4 needs to receive the Cummins 6 spd Manual.

I guarantee if your can pick your own gears, this 6.4 will haul like no other. Chevy Ford wouldn't have a chance.

This based on how much better my V10 5 spd handles my trailer than my Hemi auto, and how much better the Hemi auto handles than other auto trucks.

BRING BACK THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

But the auto is so slick with tow/haul and select a gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.