Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this getting to be a problem or just web smack?

I have a MY11 1500 so I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Timing chain for a 2009 ram 1500 5.7 is part number 53022316AC.
Mopar shows this to fit 2008-2014
Keep in mind how many Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Chrysler vehicles this motor is in.
The average weekly demand in the United States is 34.
I would say this has no signs of being a problem.

For comparison the oil filter 4884899AB
Fitting 2007-2014 yes a few more engines but to show high demand.
The average weekly demand in the United States is 28,018

Steven

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steven, I was looking for real data.

Do you know what platforms the 34 a week are going to?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Oil filters need regular changes but TCs not so much... for example how does the weekly TC demand compare to other Mopar engines? Is 34 a week an expected number?

Stroudtom, did the TC in your RAM break? There have been a number of broken TCs being reported on challengertalk.com. It seems like every month there are about 2 or 3 new reports...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here are some more AWD.

3.6L cylinder head is a known Issue problem which is what I assume was trying to be identified. 905 AWD

For other comparison.

T-belt for 05 3.5 Pacifica 199 AWD

09 Wrangler 3.8L t-Chain 14 AWD

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmk123 said:
Stroudtom, did the TC in your RAM break? There have been a number of broken TCs being reported on challengertalk.com. It seems like every month there are about 2 or 3 new reports...
No, TC has not broken but it caught my attention with all the failure talk for Challengers. The failure rate for truck motors seem to be low, are the pass car 5.7l the same as truck 5.7l?

·
Registered
266 Posts
The part number for the 09 5.7L engine is the same for both challenger and trucks.

I do see more modifications on Challengers than I do the Ram trucks. When people report broken chains are they disclosing any mods done to the vehicles as well? Might be a worth while question to ask.

This week the AWD for the chain is 28.

Steven

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Good point about mods. However, in our local Challenger club of about 100 members (mixed number of models of course, not just R/Ts with automatics) we had 2 failures. As far as I know they had no mods and were using them for commuting (happened at 50k and 70k miles). Online I have read about 2 Chargers and 3 300s failing and about 33 Challenger failures which includes one R/T that has had this happen 3 times now. I think he has a commute of over 100 miles/day with no stop/go traffic. The common theme seems to be a lot of freeway driving at highway speeds with MDS engaged for a lot of the life time of the engine.

What's the weekly demand for TCs for 6.1L HEMIs or for the first gen 5.7L V8s (non-VVT MDS) HEMIs? I think this would be an interesting comparison. I am still puzzled that the Challenger is singled out. But maybe those guys are more online and more inclined to report online? Or as you said, there are indeed more mods involved. You have to obviously be careful with stuff reported on the net...

·
Registered
266 Posts
05 Ram 5.7L timing chain shows AWD 34

010 Challenger 6.1L timing chain AWD 8

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
The 2009+ 5.7L and 6.4L Hemis may have the VVT (VCT) cam phaser timing gear as well as MDS. Any cam phaser problems are likely serviced with a new timing gear set and chain.
The 6.1L never had MDS or VVT.
Many of the AWD numbers may be from 'routine' or other engine service and not necessarily from chain breakage itself. Reading the problems on the internet may be an inaccurate way to count failures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Thanks stevensspeaking. The 05 timing chain is for all 5.7, right? Not just the RAMs?

ImperialCrown: good point about the engine service. Might not all be due to a chain failure. Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
At a glance it lokks like it was used on all 5.7L engines 03-08

Steven

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
stevenspeaking said:
Here are some more AWD.

3.6L cylinder head is a known Issue problem which is what I assume was trying to be identified. 905 AWD
So. 905 AWD, is that number growing, shrinking or...?
That would be nearly 4,000 per month (4.3 weeks per mo) or 47,000 per year out of 2 million engine?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I will stand by my statement there is not an issue with timing chains.

TC 09-014 all 5.7L and 6.4L AWD 55

3.6L heads AWD 1338

TC 03-08 5.7L AWD 35

TC 06- 10 6.1L only AWD 14

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I agree, from the numbers nothing too abnormal seems to be going on. I do think though that these days the HEMI take rate in the 300 and Charger is lower than in the early days. Gas was cheaper and the HEMI was a big new thing back then. Plus, there is less reason due to the Pentastar. In the Challenger (and trucks of course) the HEMI take rate is probably higher today due to the fact that people want a V8 in a muscle car like the Challenger. And that is where most of the reported failures happen. One thing many reports have in common is commuting at highways speeds where you would think MDS is active most of the time.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
One more question about the AWD. If I had 10 demands last week but they were backordered and this week I have 12 then is this week's AWD 12 or 22? Just wondering if you knew... :)

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Also, Steven, would you happen to know if the Guide Shoe for the timing chain got a new part number? Someone mentioned that they might have switched from a plastic one to one made out of alluminium that is coated with Teflon. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The guide shoe for the balance assembly on my 03 SRT4 neon is alum with a plastic insert. I think it was only used on early models cause everybody that turns up power levels on the turbo cuts the chain. Many have failed and I was going to replace the guide on mine. I ordered the replacement and it was all plastic. When I changed the timing belt, I dropped the pan to access the balance chain/guide and my was not plastic and as stated was alum. You would think the pass would not repeat. Oh, I did not put that plastic guide in!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts