Allpar Forums banner

5.7L Supercharging. advice for the young kid?

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  AC TC 
#1 ·
Hello all,
so I am posting in this section of the forums as there is probably a few of you who have a 5.7L in your vehicle who have thrown a turbo or supercharger at it. I have a 2005 Durango with the 5.7L. I am posting here because I, being young and slightly less knowledgeable, am looking for advice and some guidance when it comes to throwing a supercharger under the hood. It may not be the most ideal platform to do these kind of upgrades, but its what i have on hand.

with that said, I know that with some amount of forced induction, or say around 6-12psi, some of the stock internals will not handle the load. What advice do you guys have for parts, or what parts would you recommend i use to ensure that i don't blow the engine?

I should also mention i am from Canada, which may or may not affect the availability of certain parts.

#3 ·
Well, it's a lot more complicated than just bolting it on and driving. You want to have forged parts internally, as in pistons, rods and crankshaft, literally, if you go above the 6psi, literally anything above 6psi. Cast parts, even nodular cranks can't take the pounding of anything above that to have any durability. You shouldn't have any difficulty finding forged aftermarket parts, and the pistons should have a compression ratio in the 8:1 range for best results. There should also be something electronic associated with the tuning of the computer because stock will not like the extra pressure, along with injectors of a larger size to prevent lean conditions, even 6psi is pushing stock injectors to their limit. Remember, all this stuff starts getting expensive, internals will be a couple grand on top of the cost of the blower itself. There are also articles from the different magazines that have done this job so it isn't totally blind in doing it, but take your time, don't cut corners even if you have to save to gather all the parts and fittings first, then install. Anticipate it taking anywhere from one to two weeks, depending on the build time for the block.

#5 ·
Well, it's a lot more complicated than just bolting it on and driving. You want to have forged parts internally, as in pistons, rods and crankshaft, literally, if you go above the 6psi, literally anything above 6psi. Cast parts, even nodular cranks can't take the pounding of anything above that to have any durability. You shouldn't have any difficulty finding forged aftermarket parts, and the pistons should have a compression ratio in the 8:1 range for best results. There should also be something electronic associated with the tuning of the computer because stock will not like the extra pressure, along with injectors of a larger size to prevent lean conditions, even 6psi is pushing stock injectors to their limit. Remember, all this stuff starts getting expensive, internals will be a couple grand on top of the cost of the blower itself. There are also articles from the different magazines that have done this job so it isn't totally blind in doing it, but take your time, don't cut corners even if you have to save to gather all the parts and fittings first, then install. Anticipate it taking anywhere from one to two weeks, depending on the build time for the block.
yeah the extent of my knowledge was that a number of internals would not be able to handle the increase in pressure created by the supercharger. but that is a good start. do you know of any articles that i could use for reference?

#7 ·
I know Mopar Muscle has done several articles on different blowers and engine builds of this type. I am sure Mopar Action has done a few, too.

Reactions: MPE426HEMI
#10 ·
well, obviously nothing too crazy it is going to double as a daily driver.

I know Mopar Muscle has done several articles on different blowers and engine builds of this type. I am sure Mopar Action has done a few, too.
Thanks! I will have to start taking a look through a few of the issues that I have stocked in my bookshelf, and poke around on their site too.

#17 ·
Mostly because it easy, cheap and correctly done- safe.
I wouldnt drop thousands of dollars into a gen 2 durango.
If i would do a showcar out of it it would be a nitrous shot and lotsa crome, big wheels, large stereo...
But actually i would just use it as is and get something else to modify..gen1´s are much cooler..but no hemi..

#14 ·
well, obviously nothing too crazy it is going to double as a daily driver.
Thanks! I will have to start taking a look through a few of the issues that I have stocked in my bookshelf, and poke around on their site too.
There's a new, decent book out now by the editor of Mopar Muscle magazine. (Challenger & Charger - how to build and modify) I recently picked it up and it's pretty good. You may want to have a look. Supercharging is covered and other mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.