Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my dad were about to roll the car out of the garage to wash it off in preparation to paint. When he goes to reverse about halfway in it grinds really bad. All other gears are fine. We had to change the shift cable bushings because the old ones broke from dry rot. One of them we had to make our own bushing. Could that have messed something up? Also the day before my dad steam cleaned the engine and forgot about the hole on the top of the transmission so its possible water could have got in. Could that be the problem? Its a 2.5l nonturbo thanks

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
My guess would be that the steam cleaning rusted something inside. When my car sat for a week after a heavy rainstorm, I couldn't get it in reverse the first few tries. Had to put it in first, and pop the clutch to get the car to even move.

You can buy the whole set of bushings for $22, no need for homemade.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can i get them i went to the dealer they said they dont make them any more

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
http://www.polybushings.com/pages/1605-6.html #1605.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You may need to have the shifter re-centered. Simple procedure, you put the pin the shifter mechanism in the transmission loosen the adjusters on the cable at the stick, put the pin in the stick and the then tighten down the adjusters- if all goes right it is then centered.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
The cable on the right side of the console has no adjustment, so only the left side will adjust. This is for the A523. Previous models, both adjust.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ill give that a try thanks and thanks for the link to bushings

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update on the problem: so we changed the fluid and recentered the shifter still the same problem.. also as soon as we start to put it in gear it starts moving so were thinking its something wrong with the clutch now. any ideas or thoughts would be greatly apreciated

thanks, matt

ps: a picture of the paint job

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
That looks beautiful, that's the same color as the 92 that I had.

If it engages the gear with the clutch still in, and grinds when you shift into gear, chances are good that the throwout bearing is seized/worn out. To test this, shut the engine off, shift into reverse, set the parking brake and hold the foot brake firmly, and start the car. If it fights to move as you're cranking, the throwout bearing is gone. Might as well replace the clutch at the same time, same effort to get at both.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok we will give that a shot thanks for the hasty reply

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help bob it seems that is whats wrong the throwout bearing. Unfortunately me and my dad dont know how to replace it so were going to see if my uncle glenn is interested in fixing it

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
It's not hard, but takes quite awhile. You have to remove the axles and transmission. Lots of little steps leading up to those big ones. A professional would charge somewhere around $850, I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts