Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a 350 in a 50 special dlx? And if so what did you need to do as far as mounting suspension and breaks?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
A 350 can be put in anything, and already has been...many times. When I go to hotrod shows, I can spot 350's from a block away. If a car owner can't be creative enough to use something other than a 350 in a rod or custom, I don't even bother to look at the car.

Just buy a Camaro clip and have it welded in. Then everything is a drop in.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
The real cool thing about the 350 small block is, the 5.7 Hemi a an inch more room all the way around and puts out 40percent more power with the same or less work. Heck, there is a 454 in a Nash Metropolitan, so don't worry so much about the fit so much, figure out what you really want: A Mopar of another 350 in some other brand from the start.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Saw a '35 Dodge pickup with a Viper V10 in it a while back- I prefer stock but had to admit, it looked pretty sharp! People came running past all kinds of 350-powered cars to see it. A V10 might be a bit much, but either way, stick with a Mopar engine and you will get lots of thumbs-up for your car. A nicely done 340 would get a lot of people drooling, and would be every bit as easy to install as a 350 (if not easier).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have a 350 block in my garage, ontop of that parts are easy to find for any kind of mod all day long. This is going to be my first build up so I went with something easy and reliable and easyer on the wallet, i'm only 23. I've torn down the entire car so now I have started the build back up.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Sir

When I go to a De Soto Club or Chrysler Club meet we can always
tell the driver's who have done what you are about to do. They
never open their hood and after what seems as a two - time showing,
you never see them again.

That is a lot of work to never open the hood and to stop going
since the Chevy Guys look the other way, the Ford Guys don't stop and
MoPar Guys are the same as the Chevy Guys.

Sell the Engine to any one and install an 318 or 360 so you too
can grin.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sir

When I go to a De Soto Club or Chrysler Club meet we can always
tell the driver's who have done what you are about to do. They
never open their hood and after what seems as a two - time showing,
you never see them again.

That is a lot of work to never open the hood and to stop going
since the Chevy Guys look the other way, the Ford Guys don't stop and
MoPar Guys are the same as the Chevy Guys.

Sell the Engine to any one and install an 318 or 360 so you too
can grin.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Well I can understand where your coming from and thank you. However I am doing this for no1 but myself so I dont really mind what ppl think.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry but I am with everyone else, I do a lot of car shows and if I see Chevy power in a Mopar I don't even stay to look at the other efforts put into the car, let the Ford rod guys put Chevy engines in there cars but Mopar should be Mopar, as for being easy to build and reliability I just don't see where that comes from, have you ever had a 318?, there is not a more reliable engine in the world, yeah the stall when there cold if carburated and yeah the starters sound like there saying "I think I can", but THEY DONT DYE!, the cam shafts don't round off like a Chevy, the tappets don't get noisey because you don't have to adjust them, just bolt on the rocker shafts and your done! it dosn't get any simpler than that!, parts are just as easy to find and just as cheap to purchase new or used, trust me I am in the parts business, I am building a Mopar rod myself and wouldn't consider any power but a small block Mopar, but at the end of the day its your car and your decision I just thought Id put my two cents in, good luck! Ed

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
I'll take it one step farther for you. I have the 1939 Nash Business Coupe, dad gave it to me in 1974. In 1978 I put a built 283 and turbo 350, pulls the front end off the ground, drove her for two years back and forth to work on a Navy Base, got deployed and havent' driven her in a few years. I intend, since she is now part of the Mopar family, drop the 440 6 pac out of the Charger into her during a build-up, about three years down the road. I really don't consider the 283 a bad engine for the weight of the car, but a 440 would be so much more special than an old GM engine in a cousin of the Mopar family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 1950 coronet club coupe all original with running flathead six. i am trying to figure out which way i want to go with the old car. the flat head is the first one that i have ever saw and this will be my first ever build. i was thinking of doing a frame swap with a dakota so i could have all the updated suspension computer system and the 318 with auto/overdrive transmission. but i really like the original motor in the car. parts are pretty exspensive for anything to make power from the flathead and disc brake conversions are pretty high also. what are yaws thoughts and opinions. thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
how about this! why not find a 225 slant 6 and go that route! there are go fast stuff out there, or be different use the v6 out of 86 to 2000 dakota don"t understand with gas prices why more guys ain"t looking at these engins, a318 less 2 cylinders

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your getting beat up pretty good over this, but there is a reason for it. Anyone who loves Mopars wants to see the Mopar approach. When it comes to Hot Rods I have seen just about every variation that is out there. 90% of all Hot Rods will be Chevy powered and of those 90% will be 350 powered. I would suggest that you should look for information in a Hot Rod forum rather than a Mopar forum. If you ask Mopar guys you will get Mopar answers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Having judged many a car show, I can tell you that any car with any engine other than the original manufacturer gets knocked down in points. Mopar power is so much more powerfull, reliable and noteworthy, that it gains points consideration. Chevy guys like to boast that over 200 million small block Chevys have been built. My answer is that half of them were to replace the broken first half.
A crate 340 from Mopar would win you much admiration and praise. 350's are like Kias: throw aways.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Very true about the 350s out there, it is the throwaway engine for hotrods. Dropping or keeping a Mopar under the hood is definitely a plus, even setting up a well engineered 3.5 would be an excellent choice. Newer, good power and performance overall for a V6, durable and there are some really cool dual throttle body intakes for them which would look good under the hood. Since they are used in the 300 and charger sedan it is easier to get a RWD setup and would make a very unique and reliable street rod. The Dakota frame would make it pretty easy to set up attachment points, and on the other side a 3.9 or 5.2/5.9 under the hood would also make it a fun car to drive and show.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
The only problem with the poly is the extra 50 lbs over the LA engine and not as much power. If going that route, might as well add another 50 pounds to the A engine and find a real Hemi.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I just wanted to give the little poly some love, lest we forget our roots. Chebbie people don't know we had a canted valve motor long ago.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
That part I can understand, but, if any fairly decent power is to be gotten from the Poly, ported heads and intake are a must. There is an easy 100hp/tq out of a good port job and that number can be increased with even higher compression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, Hey Monster, You got the right car for this forum, problem is, these guys are all dead on Mopar fans. 350 is a good transplant choice if you feel comfortable with it. Its your car. Front brake conversion from drum to disc are available. Original suspension isnt too bad either. Offset your motor an inch to the passenger side to squeeze by the steering box, use a glock hugger or older style exhaust manifold. The rest of the work is fabricating mounts, etc. Stan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts