Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im building a 55 dodge truck, i have put it on a 98 dakota frame, i have the 5spd manual from the dakota and i am putting in a 340, i know they mate up just wondering wich flywheel i can use, any help appreciated, Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I had a ton written, but there are a few things you are going to have to check. There may be an article of this swap out there, so that may help and you can give us the skinny on it all, but all in all, there are lots of similarities and possible slight differences. If the bolt pattern between the 340 and Magnum is the same, that fixes that part, then all you have to do is verify the pilot bushing itself, and verify the depth of the flywheel flange and adjust it. If you have the engine the 5spd came out of (hope it is a V8 and not a 4 or V6, it would not hold up to the 340 very long, V8 internal shafts are larger than the 4 or V6)). a flat edge against the surface of the trans mounting of the block and depth of the crank flywheel flange surface, determine if the two are the same, shim as necessary and you are good to go. Ring gears are the same so use the starter of your choice, mini starters do work great, but the other is fine. How are you setting up the hydraulic clutch to the body? Is it requiring any cutting or just brackets to fit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the stock brackets from the dakota for the foot pedals and istalled it to the body of the 55, all i have to do is modify the pedals themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts