Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Town and Country with 95k on it. I have no trouble codes. The transmission shifts great from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th. 2nd to 3rd is pretty rough at higher rpms (3000-4000) but shifts fine at lower rpms. It also shifts fine going downhill, but rough uphill. I did a transmission fluid and filter change and it did help by smoothing out changing from P to D to Rev.
I went another route by checking the resistance of the solenoids. None of them were crazy out of spec. Not sure what else it could be. Maybe speed sensors? Maybe something internal? I find it odd that it only shifts bad at normal throttle from 2nd to 3rd. But again with light throttle it shifts normal. First time post. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Have you had any possible flash updates for the 62TE done by the dealer?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I see you only mention 4 speeds, does that mean your van has the 3.3l engine with the 42TE four speed transmission?

The four speed has a dipstick while the six speed does not.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
I see no flash updates listed for a 2009 62TE. Did this used vehicle come with any warranty or service contract?
When you performed the fluid/filter service did you notice metallic debris in the pan or on the chip magnet?
Was ATF+4 used for the service?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see you only mention 4 speeds, does that mean your van has the 3.3l engine with the 42TE four speed transmission?

The four speed has a dipstick while the six speed does not.
It's a six speed with the 3.8l. I just omitted the others speeds for simplicity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see no flash updates listed for a 2009 62TE. Did this used vehicle come with any warranty or service contract?
When you performed the fluid/filter service did you notice metallic debris in the pan or on the chip magnet?
Was ATF+4 used for the service?
It did come with a 2 year GWC warranty. The magnet had normal fuzz based on other magnets I've seen. ATF-4 was used.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a similar rough shift on my 2009 Caravan, after a few weeks I got a check engine light for random misfire (P0300). I changed the spark plugs and wires and the misfire code hasn't come back and the rough shift also went away.

If your spark plugs haven't ever been changed, you might want to consider changing the plugs since it will be due at 102,000 miles anyway. Most people recommend against any plugs other than the original equipment Champion Double Platinums.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a similar rough shift on my 2009 Caravan, after a few weeks I got a check engine light for random misfire (P0300). I changed the spark plugs and wires and the misfire code hasn't come back and the rough shift also went away.

If your spark plugs haven't ever been changed, you might want to consider changing the plugs since it will be due at 102,000 miles anyway. Most people recommend against any plugs other than the original equipment Champion Double Platinums.
Thank you for your post. I did change plugs, wires, and coil pack when I first got it because it was buckin like crazy with very light gas at 30-40 mph. That fixed that.

I wish I had a check engine light. At least it would point me in some direction.

With normal gas pedal it's seems like 2nd gear is sooo quick. It's barely in 2nd gear and then it shifts rough into 3rd. All other shifts are great. Kinda frustrating. I've watched solenoid videos where they test resistance. They say spec for all of them are 1.3 ohms and there is an odd one out that spec is 4.9 ohms. My solenoid all read 2 ohms and the odd one out reads 6 ohms. Is that way too much out of spec? Or since it's consistent is it prolly fine? I don't know.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Even though the the check engine light is not on, there still could be fault codes stored. They would be considered soft codes, but codes nonetheless.

i don't know what the Ohms readings should be but I would have a dealer or shop retrieve the CVI's. The Clutch Volume Index is a measure of wear. The dealer may be able to do additional diagnosis and determine if there is a bad solenoid or not. Only I don't think you can replace the individual solenoids. They are serviced by replacing the entire solenoid pack.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
There is a couple of 4.9Ω solenoids shown here along with the 1.3Ω solenoids:
62TE__Tech_Info__Solenoid_ID___Connector_Pin_Out.jpg
Readings will vary by temperature. The 6Ω could be one of the 4.9Ω ones? I assume that you are zeroing out the test lead resistance?
There were compounder clutch clutch failures that would affect both the 2-3 and 4-5 shifts. 3rd and 5th gears use the direct clutch which is a part of it.
I would have it diagnosed at your shop. I don't think that it is electrical, but either hydraulic and/or mechanical. The transaxle will likely have to be removed and either rebuilt or a reman installed. You don't have to mention that you did a filter/fluid service and preliminary diagnostics.
There may be an upfront diagnostic charge and a deductible depending on your warranty or service contract. You should be able to recoup the diagnostic charge if this is covered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a couple of 4.9Ω solenoids shown here along with the 1.3Ω solenoids:
62TE__Tech_Info__Solenoid_ID___Connector_Pin_Out.jpg
Readings will vary by temperature. The 6Ω could be one of the 4.9Ω ones? I assume that you are zeroing out the test lead resistance?
There were compounder clutch clutch failures that would affect both the 2-3 and 4-5 shifts. 3rd and 5th gears use the direct clutch which is a part of it.
I would have it diagnosed at your shop. I don't think that it is electrical, but either hydraulic and/or mechanical. The transaxle will likely have to be removed and either rebuilt or a reman installed. You don't have to mention that you did a filter/fluid service and preliminary diagnostics.
There may be an upfront diagnostic charge and a deductible depending on your warranty or service contract. You should be able to recoup the diagnostic charge if this is covered.
Hi Imperialcrown. I know this is an old thread, but I'll try anyway. I have a 2013 Chrysler T&C Limited and I recently picked up AppCar diagFCA. I'm interested in the acceptable CVI values for the 62TE. I have downloaded several documents on the 62TE and cannot find the specs. Any chance you could point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts