Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber dust boot disintigrated. I have a replacement and need help installing the replacement. I am not replacing the universal. The repair manual is not very helpful. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I moved this topic to General Tech Support for more readership 'traffic'. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
What step are you stuck on? The driveshaft has to come out and the ball & trunnion joint might have to be removed to clean things up, pack with grease and slip the new clamp/boot on the shaft. I have used a press to remove the joint pins before as some can be tight. Hammering is OK if the piece can be supported in a fixture. (see fig.156). However step #7 says that it may be done without removing the ball and pin. Can it be slipped over the ball?
http://circlekf.com/kflit/SM/kfsm580/kfsm58007.pdf

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
I think it can be slipped over the pin. That pin has to be centered to within a few thousands, forget the exact spec, but you must have a press, a hammer just ain't gonna get it at all if you have to move the pin.

I had a couple of 62s, but it's been a looong time since then.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
You should be able to slide the boot over the pin after removing the balls. DO NOT LOSE THE NEEDLES. As you slide the balls off, push some grease into the needles before they get off of the pin to help hold them in place. It will save you a lot of time.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
68RT said:
You should be able to slide the boot over the pin after removing the balls. DO NOT LOSE THE NEEDLES. As you slide the balls off, push some grease into the needles before they get off of the pin to help hold them in place. It will save you a lot of time.
I've never had a Trunnion driveshaft rebuilt admittedly; but your description sure reminds me of an inboard C/V joint. :)

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
They're somewhat similar to a steering pot joint as well. Inboard CV joints usually have three balls and the RWD driveshafts have two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts