Allpar Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oversized pistons are for cylinder bores which have been enlarged. Oversized bearings are for crankshaft journals which have been ground for roundness and finish. Milling the head will bring up the compression slightly. If you do remove the head for milling, check the cylinder bores for good 30 degree honing marks and minimal ridges at the top. If all is OK, do a ring job

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
awesome, so if the journals on the crank and the piston bores are round and in good shape a standard size kit will be fine. Guess its time to break down the motor. are the head bolts torque to yield?

·
Registered
560 Posts
It would be wise to mic the journals to assure they have not been ground already. The head bolts should come fairly easily. be sure to put in new bolts, or studs upon re-assembly. Also, be sure to run a bottoming tap all the way down the threaded bolt holes and vacuum them out.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Great project!! It will certainly be unique. Will you be able to close the hood with your setup or will it require a scoop? Head bolts are not torque to yield and don't have to be replaced. A friend rebuilt a 225 some years ago and as his bore was worn so he needed oversize pistons. He used std. 2.2 Chrysler 4 cylinder pistons as they were easy to acquire and are approx. .045" (.9mm) larger.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just finished soldering together the megastim.
Now I got to save up the money to buy the actual computer.
Bought the rest of the sensors too. Now I'm just trying to decide whether or not to pull the transmission out of the car...I'm afraid of damaging the shifting cables...they almost cost as much as my efi setup...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts