Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up a 65-66 New Yorker and want to know if there are any suspension mods that can be done to make it handle better.
I'm not new to messing with cars and this particular car is a two door that looks ALL THERE! Even the air cleaner.

I have rebuilt the suspension on a '66 Impala and 72 Monte Carlo and they handled fantastic for the size that they were..

I'm not looking for a harsh ride, just tight precise steering with out the lateral swaying and diving upon braking.

I've never messed with a torsion bar setup (on a LARGE car) and really don't want to read through 1000's of posts.
And when you type in a search engine, tons of AIR ride stuff comes up.

I've seen the "Hotrods to Hell" set ups and like them but they don't show any Chrysler.
Freakrides doesn't show any either..

Just joined because of maybe getting this car.
E

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Torsion bars are the greatest setups out there compared to coil springs, but you are right, there does need to be a few things set up to enjoy their handling capability. Good rubber bumpers, graphite bushings in the A and control arms, rear bushings and leaf springs that aren't worn out, steering is pretty good if everything is tight, a lot can be done to ensure it is tight. All in all, rebuilt with good bushings, things can handle just fine.

The other option is air bags, which I have never done myself, but I hear works very well for handling. If they can do air bags on a Cadillac, they can do it on a Chrysler.

·
Super Moderator
13,923 Posts
Remember that your car is a Mopar C body and is very closely related to the big Dodge and Plymouth from 1965-73. In other words; the 'police' stuff will bolt right up. For a steering gear; I'd go with a later Torsion Bar car unit for a police application.........or, have one specially built up by Lares, Red Head or another vendor.

Needless to say: unless you already have disc brakes, please swap on a set of '1973' C body spindles and their matching rotors, etc. Booster: a 1965-68 C body disc brake unit will work in conjunction with a 1967 up dual chamber master cylinder and matching proportioning valve.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
Large antiroll bars front and rear, different wheels and tires, firmfeel or equivalent steering gear. Go to http://moparaction.com/ and look in the tech section for more detail.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Having driven both the Impala and New Yorker, the New Yorker definitely handled better, and yes, 60 series tires over the stock 75 or 78 series tires will make her handle even better, roll bars add to that, tons of new technology over 45 year old stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts