Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 273 '65 Cuda has manifold gasket leak on the left side and also a frozen heat riser. These engine compartments are quite tight as far as working room is considered. It looks like you need to pull the engine to get at this problem. Is there an easier way to fix this?

·
Premium Member
20,363 Posts
It may be a little tight, but you don't have to pull the engine to remove the exhaust manifold. A frozen heat riser can be a problem, I usually remove it and place bolts and nuts in the holes after it is removed, allowing the exhaust to flow freely without it being an issue.

·
Registered
9,530 Posts
I agree with Dana. Those heat risers can be a royal pain. They get rusty and freeze up. Sometimes the spring rusts through and breaks off too. It was a strange design.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The exhaust leak was on the left side. I unbolted the manifold but there is no way you will be able to remove it from the car unless the steering shaft or engine is removed. As for the heat riser, it's purpose is to achieve a quicker warm up. I found the proper procedure to care for it is occasional lubrication once it is loose. Fortunately the right side exhaust manifold is easy to remove from the car.

·
Premium Member
20,363 Posts
When this occurs, one can usually remove the transmission mount bolt/nut (so as not to destroy it) and the motor mount through bolt on the side the intake is on, and raise the motor at an angle to aid in removing the exhaust manifold. It usually works without removing the whole engine.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Has it got this style manifold??

They are pretty tight.

Thanks
Randy

From installing headers instructions:

It is easier to remove the factory exhaust manifolds if you lift the motor 3-4”. To do this, you will have to remove the ¾” nut and washer located at the bottom of the K-member. Place a jack with a board between the jack and the oil pan to support the motor and lift the motor 3- 4”. It is best to do this by offsetting the jack and doing one side at a time. While the engine is still in the air, remove the old manifold from the top of the car. Set the engine back down and do the other side. You will have to lift the engine up again to install these headers.

https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/447D450.pdf

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. My manifold actually looks like its a little larger than the one pictured. I was able to replace the gaskets without taking the manifold out. I glad it isn't cracked like some of the MOPAR manifolds are.

·
Registered
9,530 Posts
I never had a problem with any of my V-8 Mopars having cracked manifolds. Now, the slant sixes were a different story. I had 3 of them with cracked manifolds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.