Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad just put a new comp cam in his 1965 Belveder and now it won't start . Never had a problem starting until now. First thought it was flooded, came back removed spark plugs, and a few were wet with fuel. Getting air, spark, and fuel. 318cid. Any help would be great . Also the distributor is tdc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Allpar. Is it possible that the distributor is 180°off? Like at TDC on the Exhaust stroke?
Is compression good, say over 100 psi?
He said he's checked it 5 or 6 times . Compression is 125 he said. He's stumped at this point. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is the distributor spinning in the correct direction? Are the wires installed in the proper order and direction? Had that happen to a friend years ago. He reversed the direction of the plug wires in the cap. Spent two days double checking his work before calling me for help.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Is it the correct cam for a Polysheric engine? The Truck A block used the same size cam, but on the wedge head engines 4 of the cylinders have the valves reversed. I had a short block I installed in a Dodge 250 van years ago and the engine builder had a Poly head cam in it, the blocks were the same, I found it after trying to get it to start with it acting very strangely, that half the cylinders had the valve sequence backwards. On the Poly head engines the valves run, left side. 1,3,5,7 EIEIEIEI and right side 2,4,6,8 IEIEIEIE; on the wedge head both sides are the same sequence front to rear EIIEEIIE so what was happening on my job was cyls 1,2,5,6 were correct and 3,4,7,8 backwards. You probably have 1,4,5,8 working correctly and 2,3,6,7 backwards. Where did you buy the cam?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Pull the cam and compare the lobes to the original.
Bet they are off....

·
Registered
938 Posts
You can check without pulling it back apart, remove the valve covers, start a #1 TDC, and slowly turn the crank clockwise and watch the rocker arms. Intake valves are on the inside, exhaust valves out side, sequence should always be exhaust, then intake, this means outer rocker, then as it comes up, inner will start down a little before the exhaust is closed. Firing order 18436572.

Good luck with it, any questions, I can give you my contact information if needed,

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
Since it was running before the cam swap, I'd be guessing that cam is the problem. Too much lift and holding the valves open. Unless he's done a compression test and has good numbers. Then disregard what I said.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Any updates on this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
In any event, looks like the cam has to come out.
I have seen cams ground wrong... it does happen.

Reactions: AHBGuru

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
As the good Dr Ehrenberg states, it must start within the first few revolutions, or you're finished.

Tear it apart and start over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts