Allpar Forums banner

66 Coronet K car

1285 Views 24 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Bob Lincoln
VIN WK41E61187780 BODY NUMBER ON RADIATOR SUPPORT SS04301
I have a 66 Dodge Coronet Deluxe police package car. The engine in it now is a 318 poly...I was told it was built with a 361 in Detroit and the engine later was changed. However, VIN decoding services dispute each other...some say the engine code E is 318, and some say E is 361. The shop manual says 361.
The number stamped on the radiator support on the driver's side I listed. What does it mean?

A MOPAR enthusiast who examined the car the other day is convinced it came with the 318 as to switch from 361 to 318 would incur modifications and he says it looks stock. His VIN decoder book says 318.

Too many conflicts..which is correct? The fender tag on the lf fender support is not there and I don't have the build sheet...
Help please?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
1966 with an E engine code in the VIN is a 318-2bbl engine. F code was the 361 engine in 1966.

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,316 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. There is a conflict between the 1966 parts catalog & the 1966 service manual.
The parts catalog says that an 'E' engine is a 318. The service manual says that an 'E' engine is a 361.
318 would have the distributor in the rear. The 361 would have the distributor in the front. Does the wiring harness looks like it was hacked to reach the coil & distributor?
This is either a publishing error or a factory running change in engine code designations.
There is a descrepancy in what a 'C' engine is. 373 means 273?
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Diagram

Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

Font Parallel Number Document Pattern

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a conflict between the 1966 parts catalog & the 1966 service manual.
The parts catalog says that an 'E' engine is a 318. The service manual says that an 'E' engine is a 361.
318 would have the distributor in the rear. The 361 would have the distributor in the front. Does the wiring harness looks like it was hacked to reach the coil & distributor?
This is either a publishing error or a factory change in engine codes.
View attachment 92694
View attachment 92695
View attachment 92696
No..looks stock and correct...maybe there was an error in the shop manual....just don't know which to trust. Owner who restored it won't return messages...so...I am hoping it is a 318 build, would prefer to have the right engine in it.

· Super Moderator
21,376 Posts
The radiator support stamping is the sales order number. It does not contain any information which identifies car equipment. There should be a fender tag (data plate) on the car somewhere under hood. You should see this same sales order number on that plate.

You will also see a row of capital letters. Look at the numbers under AB. If it’s 41 it’s a 318 car. If it’s 51 it’s a 361 car.

· Super Moderator
21,376 Posts
It is a shame the data plate is missing.
Two more options. First is have you looked for a broadcast sheet (build sheet) in the car? It may be under or behind the back seat between the fabric and springs. Not every car got one, and someone could have already removed it.
Second would to be contacting Chrysler Historical and see if they’ll send you a copy of the IBM punch card. Google should let you find info for this service (hopefully they still offer this). Then there would be sites that can help you decode the ouch card info.

· Super Moderator
17,316 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VIN WK41E61187780 BODY NUMBER ON RADIATOR SUPPORT SS04301
I have a 66 Dodge Coronet Deluxe police package car. The engine in it now is a 318 poly...I was told it was built with a 361 in Detroit and the engine later was changed. However, VIN decoding services dispute each other...some say the engine code E is 318, and some say E is 361. The shop manual says 361.
The number stamped on the radiator support on the driver's side I listed. What does it mean?

A MOPAR enthusiast who examined the car the other day is convinced it came with the 318 as to switch from 361 to 318 would incur modifications and he says it looks stock. His VIN decoder book says 318.

Too many conflicts..which is correct? The fender tag on the lf fender support is not there and I don't have the build sheet...
Help please?
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Auto part Electric blue

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
Well, that's definitely not a 361, because the distributor is in the back. 361 had the distributor in the front at an angle.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, that's definitely not a 361, because the distributor is in the back. 361 had the distributor in the front at an angle.
s
[/QUOT
I know it's a 318...The question is did the car come with a 318 or 361?

· Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
I'm maintaining that the E code in the VIN for 1966 is a 318-2bbl V-8. I know for a fact that D is the 273-2bbl, and I know for a fact that G is the 383-2bbl, from friends and relatives' cars. So F must be the 361.
It came with a 318-2bbl.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. The conflict is with two things: The guy I bought from said he was informed by the guy who actually restored it (unless he's got the numbers mixed up) said it had a 361 and he replaced it with a lower mileage 318. The second conflict is in the shop manual and the parts manual both showing opposite results and the online vin decoders also conflict with each other. I am hoping a 318 came with the car, as I want it to be correct.. I will search for the build sheet (hopefully in the car somewhere) and await the IBM data card from FCA which should be able to tell me.
I appreciate all the help. I will update after I am able to confirm.

· Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
It's possible that someone swapped the original 318 for a 361 before the restorer owned it; or that he was mistaken.
Build sheets are often found tucked under the seat cushions in the springs; or in the spare tire well.
I believe that there are online services that can reconstruct a build sheet from the VIN.

· Super Moderator
17,316 Posts
If the engine has been changed, there is always signs left behind (witness marks left behind by wrench & socket tools, relocated washer marks, minor paint scratches, disturbed plastic loom fasteners, etc.
The engine compartment looks very clean.

A close look at the engine mounting fasteners, etc should show signs of having a tool on it.
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Gas Nickel

· Super Moderator
21,376 Posts
Since the engine and transmission are too old for ViN stamping that is out. But you could examine the engine and transmission for date stampings. If they aren’t late 1965 or the first 3/4 of 1966 they aren’t original to this car. Without the fender tag, you may not know the assembly date of the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts