Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
71 2door valiant column w/ign to column wo/ign need wiring help .I'm replacing column and wire harness because melted do to amp meter. Have found a older column w dash harness but have to change from key on column to key not on column. Need wiring help for dash connections and ignition location and wiring. Thanks for any help you can

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
alwaysfixingsomething, welcome to the forum. You are going to want the lower dash part that contains the switch location, that way you can have it properly attach to your dash, there should be a notch in the key hole to keep it from spinning, so you want at least a pattern of what it looks like to compare. From there, you can do a search for your model and the wiring diagram, I think it is mydodge.com that has free ones I have been using for years, you may find that due to the year and the earlier year you got, most everything will plug into the bulkhead connector and then go to everything else without a problem. Yes, those pesky amp gauges have to be insulated otherwise they will melt everything. Also, if you haven't found out yet, the connection for the tail lights and gas tank, etc., are behind the kick panel behind the emergency brake, plugs in real easy.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
You an find a voltmeter the same diameter as the ammeter and replace it. That avoids having to run the voltage regulator current through the firewall connector twice, just run the charging wire straight from battery to alternator instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the input and I have switched the instrument cluster with a aluminum plate I fabricated ,decided to install all after market gages ,anyone have any thoughts about what to do about speedometer ?

I have switched the instrument cluster with a aluminum plate I fabricated ,decided to install all after market gages ,anyone have any thoughts about what to do about speedometer ?

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
I would say find a round one out os somethnig, there are only a couple cable attachment ends to the older speedometers, and they are all the same at the transmission, so get the cable to go with the speedometer. Time to go junkyard scrounging!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts