Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys .I appreciate your support I have a 71 dart gt with a 440 original slant 6 car ...my horn isn't workin took wheel apart seems like no powe there any ideas where to start thanks again

·
Super Moderator
32,049 Posts
First step, check all fuses.
On some of these cars, the wire in the steering column would fray and short out, blowing a fuse.
Also, jumper power to the horn anyway, to see if it is working.

·
Super Moderator
37,238 Posts
At the steering wheel, doesn't the horn switch just complete a ground circuit? As in there is never any power going through the horn switch at the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
The horn wire in the column grounds the horn relay. The column must be grounded to the dash/body in order to complete the circuit.
The horn relay contacts do the heavy work of supplying current to the horn(s).
The column wire, if shorted would blow the horn and not blow a fuse. Shorted horns may blow a fuse.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First step, check all fuses.
On some of these cars, the wire in the steering column would fray and short out, blowing a fuse.
Also, jumper power to the horn anyway, to see if it is working.
Thanks Bob love your daytona had to sell all mine now have the dart tried power to horns they work fine fuses all seem good ...the 6 bus fuses under dash

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the steering wheel, doesn't the horn switch just complete a ground circuit? As in there is never any power going through the horn switch at the steering wheel.
Thanks very much your right I didnt word it well it is a ground set up in wheel they make contact but no sound

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know where the horn relay is on a 71 dart? I might go there look ing to see if it has power

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
From the 1970 Dart/Challenger service manual on MyMopar:
"The horn circuit consists of a horn switch located in the steering wheel hub and a horn relay mounted in the passenger compartment under the instrument panel at the left kickpad".
It would likely be a 3-terminal cube. You should hear or feel a faint click inside it when pressing the horn button.
The manual has the troubleshooting procedures and wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the 1970 Dart/Challenger service manual on MyMopar:
"The horn circuit consists of a horn switch located in the steering wheel hub and a horn relay mounted in the passenger compartment under the instrument panel at the left kickpad".
It would likely be a 3-terminal cube. You should hear or feel a faint click inside it when pressing the horn button.
The manual has the troubleshooting procedures and wiring diagrams.
Thanks very much will go back out side after I eat my steaks lol thanks for the great help

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Here is a link to a wiring schematic for your vehicle. Scroll until you find a reference for 1971 Dodge Dart. There are 2 schematics.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Mopar Wiring Diagrams 1966 to 1971 (at http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27 )

In addition to the tips presented look at the wiring connector that carries the load side power from the horn relay to the horns. There is a connector at the firewall through which the load side power for the horn passes. This must be in good condition and not corroded and separated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a link to a wiring schematic for your vehicle. Scroll until you find a reference for 1971 Dodge Dart. There are 2 schematics.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Mopar Wiring Diagrams 1966 to 1971 (at http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27 )

In addition to the tips presented look at the wiring connector that carries the load side power from the horn relay to the horns. There is a connector at the firewall through which the load side power for the horn passes. This must be in good condition and not corroded and separated.
Thanks very much Allen didn't know we had diagrams on here totally appreciate it ...now I just got to figure out how to get to them for future reference. Thanks again you all are great! We are MOPAR!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys found it. It was the relay in the drivers ide kick panel contacts were corroded. I would like to thank all who supported me on this quest. And will be on more to support others. Miss my turbos but glad to be back with a big block lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts