Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I cant believe I am even thinking of another project right now but my oldest sons truck is just about back together and with car season approaching my youngest son is now looking at a father/son project as well, any way what we are looking at is a 72 Duster that left the factory as a slant six car but now has no motor or trans, we have the 727 we just removed from the stepside that's in good shape and several 318's in my garage, the guy who owns this now says he was going to put a big block in it and that it would bolt into the origanal "k" memeber, if this is correct will the slant six "k" member work with the 318?, I know the 318 going into the car will require a different oil pan than the truck which I have any other concerns before we comit to this car?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Might depend on the year of the 318 in question -- if you get a "big block" ('67 or older) it'll work out, but if you get the LA engine / smallblock ('68 and later) you'll need a K-frame.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the 318 we would use is a "la" block so you fell the "k" member is different? what is the problem? dose the oil pan hit the "k" member?

·
Registered
682 Posts
More about block specs than oil pan, I think. Haven't thought about one of these since '81.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I believe it's a different K-member for the 318.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I did a little more research, although a torsion bar upgrade from six to v8 is recommended it is not required nor is the "k' member swap that is only to accomodate the v8 mounts which are different but schumaker makes a conversion kit for $180.00 with no welding required there only requirement is switching to disc brakes up front because of the weight difference and that's no sweat

·
Registered
682 Posts
(snaps fingers) Motor mounts -- yeah. Those don't fit right on the /6 K-frame for the LA-block (yes, once upon a time, I had dreams of dropping a 340 into a Duster). Now, having worn trucks off from around more 318s
than I can count, I'd like to have one of those 225s back -- to yank a popup down the road that's plenty of motor, and I could do with burning less gas.

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
Weight difference? Not much. /6 is quite heavy for what it is and weighs about as much as 318. The disc brakes are needed mostly for better control when braking and are useful even with the /6. If the /6 had A/C it will have the same torsion bars as a 318 anyway.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I did what you plan. Schumacher mounts on the original K frame did the job. I put in 0.090 torsion bars, and did a disc conversion. Both very easy to do. I also added an antiroll bar up front. TTI headers and no body mods made the whole thing fun and easy. Schumacher also makes a firewall sealing kit which I feel is important to keep your feet dry.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
firewall sealing kit? do they leak?, we are going to see this car today I see some rust from the pictures on the passenger floor boards, supposedly the trunk and rear spring hangers are ok but I will look, any other areas of concern/, also being as this is a 72, was this the last year of small bolt pattern wheels?, I am hopeing the are not as we have lots of large bolt pattern ralleys

·
Super Moderator
36,926 Posts
The small bolt pattern continued on drum brake cars even after 1972, but in 1972 they were all still small bolt.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmn...strike one, I knew I should have bought those small bolt ralleys I saw last year

well looks like this one stops here... seen the car today, very rusty!, rear quarters, p/s floor pan gone, splashwells under hood by hinges rusted, door jams rusted lower and upper and assorted holes elswhere, too bad as the car was fairly straight and the rear spring hangers seemed fine too, but all this coupled with a shot interior and busted windshield to boot was a bit much for this Mopar fan

·
Registered
560 Posts
Chances are you will be well advised to go to a larger axle. The /6 came with a 7.25, which is marginal with even a 318. As for wheels, if you plan disc brakes, you will get 5X4.5 hubs. The biggeraxle is also going to be 8.25-8,75, with 5X4.5 bolt pattern. Both modifications will make your current wheels usable. Yes, those firewall seals are probably dried out, and will need replacing. While you're in there, get rid of the firewall bulkhead connector and rewire with a good kit. Fires are not good for cruising!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts