Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finishing up the refresh on the 727 for my Cuda. I noticed the 10 VB mounting bolts have done a bit of a number on the bottom of the aluminum valve body. I believe those bolts do not use washers originally - any reason for that? The pan is currently loose fitted on the case so I need to remove it to see for sure. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to put flat washers under those to protect the aluminum from further damage - and maybe loctite the bolts in that case.

·
Premium Member
20,189 Posts
If you check the torque spec for the bolts you will find them to be pretty low (I want to say 12-15lb-ft or 125inch pounds, something like that, but verify), so washers weren't necessary.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you check the torque spec for the bolts you will find them to be pretty low (I want to say 12-15lb-ft or 125inch pounds, something like that, but verify), so washers weren't necessary.
Yes I think 100 inch pounds - the steel bolts do a number on the aluminum valve body. Figuring washers might impact the effective torque and hoping this is the last time for a long time the VB will be out, I think I'll avoid them...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correction - not so much torque but clamping force on the bolt due to lower head to smooth washer friction (vs head to aluminum body). Interesting also they have no lock washer - where the valve body bolts themselves - which only torque to 35 in lbs do all have lock washers. Makes me wonder if the hex head to aluminum body was seen as a form of lock (hence my thought of adding loctite with a washer if going that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts