Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working fine 1.5 years ( except for 2-3 flareup below) and out of the blue I went to return home after 1 hour cool down and it wouldn't upshift (1-2 & 2-3) until I lifted throttle.
Linkage & throttle lever shaft function looks correct.
Fluid level good.
First & reverse fine.
history: 40k mi on rebuild 35 years ago.
Transgo shift kit 1.5 year/5k miles ago. never got rid of a (mild) 2-3 flareup subsequent to kit install.
I plan on going over the linkage adjustment again, then dropping pan to take a look see.
Any ideas?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,049 Posts
Improper line pressure?

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
Make, model & year? Not sure what it's called, but a solid bent bar connected from the carb to the transmission. If either end has deteriorated or fallen off, you'll want to repair it. On the carb side, part of it can be screwed in or out for shift adjustment.

Probably unrelated to your problem, but while you're at it, you might check the return spring for tension, which can be lost over decades of use.

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
Start with the linkage. Hopefully it’s off just a tad and it will be an easy fix.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Premium Member
20,094 Posts
Check the spring that pulls the throttle pressure rod. Sounds like it might be the problem if nothing has been altered lately.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
If external linkage adjustments are OK, check the line, governor and front/rear clutch apply pressures as Bob L. suggested in post # 2.
Low pressures from internal seal and reaction ring leaks can cause late shifts. May be worse when warm as the viscosity thins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts