Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my 318 rebuild for mid performance. But, i believe my little 904 isn't quite up to the task. Is there a modern trans (4 or 5 speed) that would work out better? What transmission bolt up to it?

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I recently had my 318 rebuild for mid performance. But, i believe my little 904 isn't quite up to the task. Is there a modern trans (4 or 5 speed) that would work out better? What transmission bolt up to it?
The 904 is a pretty stout piece; you can have them built to handle about anything that a relatively mild 318/360 can throw at it.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I can agree with that, I always plan on the rebuild of an automatic transmission with an engine rebuild because it is the next thing to fail within a short period of time when the transmission has equal mileage, but if you really want to upgrade, all the V8 transmissions use the small block bolt pattern. As far as the shifting stuff goes for the overdrive, there are plenty of aftermarket companies that have the needed wiring kit to do it, no computer needed. A couple things you will need to do though is alter the rear transmission mount/support, do some clearance for the overdrive in the floorpan, and shorten the driveline.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Worst case if sticking with Automatic, go with a 727 like I did. I changed because I kept finding lockup 904 transmissions when I wanted a non-lockup one, and non-lockup 727s were easier to find. It'll require a different driveshaft as both the yoke and the u-joints are different, and the link that goes between the side of the transmission and the body where the shifter tugs (on column cars) is a little different, but the swap is straightforward.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
And it is a driveline shortening, so the original driveline can be used, just a couple inches taken out, which saves money on the swap.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
a500 or a518

1 - 7 of 7 Posts