Allpar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
1,333 Posts
These engines are also susceptible to wiped cam lobes if too-modern a conventional motor oil is used, which lacks the heavy metals that is necessary for a hydraulic-flat-tappet cam and lifter set.

You can check this by pulling the valve covers, having someone start the engine, and watching the rockers for movement. You could find that some don't move much, that happened to the 360 in my '78 Cordoba. In my case I had to replace the cam.

Doing a cam on an engine in-car isn't very much fun, but is possible. Generally you have to pull everything in front of the engine short of the grille, so the radiator, AC condenser, water pump, timing cover, all of the accessory brackets that bolt to the water pump or timing cover, and while it's theoretically possible to pull the lifters without pulling the intake manifold, it's very difficult and is just much easier to pull the manifold.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.