Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lap portion of the driver's seat belt keeps locking up and refusing to let me pull out the belt and buckle up. No matter how gently I pull, the belt comes out only about a foot and stops. It doesn't retract all the way, either.

It's worse in the cold weather; I have been able to manipulate the belt in and out of its base to make the locking device "let go." During this Midwest deep freeze, I've sometimes given up and driven unbelted. (!)

Is the retractor shot, or can it be fixed or cleaned?

I don't know if this makes a difference: the '74s have two retractors for each three-point belt: the factory service manual refers to the one in question as the locking retractor; as opposed to the inertia retractor for the shoulder belt.

·
Premium Member
20,348 Posts
I've had this issue before, too. I ended up pulling the cover off and cleaning the inside out, dirt and lint was inside and things needed to be cleaned up, then a little WD40 on the moving parts so they work.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,868 Posts
There is an escapement wheel (like in a clock) and a ratchet bar inside. If the rewind spring is tired, retractor replacement may be best if one can be found.
Is the part # label still stitched to the belt and what color is the belt?

·
KOG
7,300 Posts
You can also swap in a later model single retractor with the entire belt assembly. May have to change the latch end as well since the latches also change at times.

·
KOG
7,300 Posts
73/74 are different. 73 is two piece belt, 74 is single.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is an escapement wheel (like in a clock) and a ratchet bar inside. If the rewind spring is tired, retractor replacement may be best if one can be found.
Is the part # label still stitched to the belt and what color is the belt?
I couldn't find the label anywhere along the length of the belt. The buckle, however, is factory-engraved with the number, ASE 472836. Oddly enough, the belts are replacements, as they are gold instead of blue (the hardware is stock Mopar, however).

Only way to find out is to take it apart. I have a retractor from 73 Duster but I think 74 may be different. Do you have a pic of the one thats broke?
The 74s have a single buckle, but separate tensioners for shoulder strap and lap belt. I don't know if the lap retractor changed (my first car was a '73 Scamp). I was gonna attach a picture but I get a vague error message that it can't load.

·
KOG
7,300 Posts
OK, I was thinking A body. Look for a later model Chrysler with the single belt and swap the whole thing in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.