Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have steering lock problem.not locked good.lock plate is good and axle bearings is good.but the tap doesnt go to bottom.it goes 2mm to down to lock plate. clak clak clak.tap mechanic is ok.sorry my good english.lock mechanism is ok. what i do? veksi

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Welcome to Allpar.
Where did you find this car? :)
I have used the Master Tech booklets that are almost as helpful as the service manuals. The illustrations of how the steering column lock works are very good.
Does the shift lever lock in Park OK and does the ignition key turn from 'on' to 'off' OK?
All these parts work together for the shifter and steering wheel locks.
This February 1970 booklet covers both the regular straight steering column and the luxury tilt-telescope column:
Steering Column & Shift Linkages (Session 267) from the Master Technician's Service Conference
See fig. 5 on p. 2 for how it looks inside the column. Sometimes the lock lever return spring slips out of place or breaks. There is a tool to hold the lock plate down in order to remove or install the cir-clip.
lockplatetool.jpg
Lockplateclip.jpg
You can turn the pages by clicking at either link at the top or bottom of the page. I hope this is useful to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks to you.lots off help the book.i buy newport to ebay massachusets.everything on the steering column is ok.the tap off plate was crack. i weld it 2mm higher than org. now go bottom. steering is lock. the motor 400cid,can i drive unleaded gasoline.org heads. imperial is best what talks mopar!veksi from finnland

1 - 3 of 3 Posts