Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
I do have a 76 Gran Fury Sport Suburban sitting out back, I didn't really want to rob parts off it but I may grab that radiator and put it in the car to test.
Make sure that it's the same radiator, or at least that it lines up with the hoses and fittings.

I second Bob's recommendation to remove your block plugs to drain the coolant more completely. When I did this on my Dakota, it wasn't as congealed as what Bob described, but it came out brown for several flushes. Even if you can only reach one side, that's far preferable to leaving all of the gunk inside to potentially clog your system after you drain it. It's easier to get to mine from under the vehicle, so you might want to try that.

$118 plus shipping from Rockauto.com
The latest radiator for my Dakota was $120 plus tax at Advance, and they had it in stock. If you determine that the radiator needs replacing, research for the best price.

If you remove the thermostat, replace it. Make sure it's the temperature that your owner's manual calls for.

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
Might cross-threading the block plugs have caused a leak that eventually caused your cooling system to run hot?

Removing even such a small amount of scale is an improvement. You don't want any of it lodging in your new radiator and causing a similar problem. I'd also recommend a procedure that was described a few years ago on another thread here: disconnect the hoses to your heater core, attach two cut yard hoses to each end, and pour water through one of the hoses, aiming the other to a drain pan. You can attach another hose from the outdoor tap to the cut ones, but don't run the water pressure too high. You want to remove as much crud as possible before installing your new radiator, and the heater core is one of the places it can accumulate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.