Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey all, I've had a 75 Cordoba for a while now and have battled overheating issues the last several years. I've replaced the water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat (and boiled to check, it's working), had heater core redone and cleaned, had radiator repaired and cleaned (told it's in very good shape by reputable radiator shop), did the paper test to check fan (it pulled very tightly on radiator), replaced intake manifold gaskets, two different new radiator caps, timing is dialed in to proper spec (both mechanical and vac advance), air/fuel seems to be good, done full block and radiator flush kit (did get a lot of crap out of it), have OE shroud and good OE fan on it, and have ensured all air is out of the system, extensively burping any and all air out of it... I'm basically at a loss of what to do. I can drive the car 5-10 miles before the temp gauge gets to over half, and if I turn around and go home that far, I am pegged out on a warm day. Thermometer to intake/radiator shows upwards of 250-260 coolant temp when pegged so I know the gauge is correct, though I rarely let it get that high. Even blasting full heat (hotter than the surface of the sun) the car will still overheat. The car runs great aside from the overheating, I'd love to take it on longer trips but am unable to due to the issue. I've covered all the things I can think of that would cause the overheating, but the issue persists. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tyler.
Hey all, I've had a 75 Cordoba for a while now and have battled overheating issues the last several years. I've replaced the water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat (and boiled to check, it's working), had heater core redone and cleaned, had radiator repaired and cleaned (told it's in very good shape by reputable radiator shop), did the paper test to check fan (it pulled very tightly on radiator), replaced intake manifold gaskets, two different new radiator caps, timing is dialed in to proper spec (both mechanical and vac advance), air/fuel seems to be good, done full block and radiator flush kit (did get a lot of crap out of it), have OE shroud and good OE fan on it, and have ensured all air is out of the system, extensively burping any and all air out of it... I'm basically at a loss of what to do. I can drive the car 5-10 miles before the temp gauge gets to over half, and if I turn around and go home that far, I am pegged out on a warm day. Thermometer to intake/radiator shows upwards of 250-260 coolant temp when pegged so I know the gauge is correct, though I rarely let it get that high. Even blasting full heat (hotter than the surface of the sun) the car will still overheat. The car runs great aside from the overheating, I'd love to take it on longer trips but am unable to due to the issue. I've covered all the things I can think of that would cause the overheating, but the issue persists. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tyler.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, I own a 76 Cordoba with a 400, the rad was pretty half way block with poopies, flush it many times, still, so much crap in it, got it rebuilt, with bigger pores in it, replace the water pump, 180 Thermostat, new Clutch fan, the temp. gauge when up to half or more, now it's up only pass a 1/4, even in traffic, stay's cool even on hot and humid days, I cruise about 75 MPH on highways, still it's cool, I use Preston Premix, since then it's been running Great. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 76 Cordoba with a 400, ac, My engine got very hot too, needle when't over half way mark, got the rad rebuilt with bigger pours in it, now it goes to a 1/4 or little over, heaven in hot days and in traffic. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.