Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '75 Dart with original 318 2bbl w/ 49,000 original miles on it from a buddy and wanted to try and put a 4 bbl intake and carb on it. This is the first time I've tried this and it was a blast until I tried to start it this week. The intake is a new Weiand Action Plus+ and the carb is a Holley 4160-1850s that I got from Holley and put an electric choke on. When I took the old intake off, a buddy, for some ungodly reason, pulled the distributor out to check the shaft and put back in. I got the new intake and carb on and hooked up. A few months before I started I had changed the coil and the ignition box, so I didn't mess with them, but since I put the intake/carb on I've changed the ballast resistor, plugs, plug wires, and distributor cap. The first time I tried to start it nothing happened until I let off the key and the car backfired. So, I went back to basics, brought the #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke, checked the rotor under dist. cap and it was pointing toward the #1 plug tower, so I assume it is in correctly. I have a DIFFERENT buddy try to crank it as I turn the distributor very, very, slightly one way, then the other and it backfired twice. Now, when attempting to start it- NOTHING!! It has fuel, it has spark from the coil to distributor, but, when I check the coil spark against the cowl area I get a good strong spark but it only happens every 2-3 seconds, is this right? If not, what should I do? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Check the wiring for cracks or breaks, especially in the distributor housing itself. There may be a short in that area. Reverify the firing order and rotation of the wiring since that was changed since starting, then reverify number 1. You should have spark constantly when the engine rotates (pretty much), once every couple seconds indicates rechecking wiring, including rotor not damaging the top of the distributor cap.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This sounds very very similar to my experience with my rebuilt 318 (71 block with 4BBL) - I think the key phrase here is 'TDC on compression' - in my case my distributor was 180 degrees out - I'd try removing the distributor and turning the shaft 180.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts