Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next step on the resurrection of this beast is to get the fuel gauge working.
Took the wires off of the sending unit and checked the ground wire. I had redone a few for the trailer and knew those were good so I got a good positive reading there. Next checked the resistance over the unit and it came back with something that seems ok. It didn't peg the meter and it didn't read nothing so I think it is working. I then looked at the gauge and with the sending line disconnected it still read empty. I have read that this should make it read full.
Then I found the voltage limiter. Found it because the Volt meter was bouncing the needle. 0-5v over and over. Sometimes higher to say 10v and sometimes it stopped but not for long, maybe a second.
I looked that up and it functions in an interesting way. I need to do more tests.

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
I thought the gauge reads empty with the line disconnected and should swing to full if the line is briefly grounded?

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
KOG
7,036 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, thank you I think I have this figured out now. Probably a broken sender line. But that said I was talking about it with a friend and it has sat for a long time. Like two years. He said it could be deposits formed on the sender in the tank. I will take it out and clean it up. Tried the grounding of the wire today and it sent the gauge it full.
Funny how it kind of stepped it’s way up. I could see the voltage limiter working.
Thanks again guys, it is great to have forums like this. Hope I can repay some of the help some day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts