Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how long a 76 4x4 club cab long bed is? Will a 16 foot trailer be long enough to haul the truck?

·
Registered
560 Posts
You will have about four foot hanging over the rear of a 16 foot trailer, and your rear tie downs will be almost vertical from the trailer bed to the truck axles. I'd use a 20 footer minimum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tazdevil said:
You will have about four foot hanging over the rear of a 16 foot trailer, and your rear tie downs will be almost vertical from the trailer bed to the truck axles. I'd use a 20 footer minimum.
Thanks, but how long is the truck?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the truck last night and I love it, I was told it has a 205 transfer case, how do I know? It hangs down lower than any I have seen. Also, I dont know what gear the transfer case should be in for normal driving, Lo Lock, Lo, N, Hi, Hi Lock? Just Hi for highway driving? Also, how should I shift? Neutral? In drive moving slow or what?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Does the truck move when it's in "N"?

If it does, then probably "N" for RWD only. "Hi" is probably open center differential, while "Hi Lock" would probably be a locked center differential. "Lo" is probably low ratio for both axles, open center differential, "Lo Lock" is low ratio for both axles, center differential locked.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
If it really has a 205 case, it will have a single stick shifter, under the truck will be one huge hunk of iron with only an alimiinum tail cone. The single shift lever goes into two horizontal shift rails with two round rails protruding from the case.
There is no lock that's in a 203 case.
The 205 has 2WD High, 4 High, Neutral, 4 Low.

53 Flathead said:
I got the truck last night and I love it, I was told it has a 205 transfer case, how do I know? It hangs down lower than any I have seen. Also, I dont know what gear the transfer case should be in for normal driving, Lo Lock, Lo, N, Hi, Hi Lock? Just Hi for highway driving? Also, how should I shift? Neutral? In drive moving slow or what?
If your gear lever has the above markings, it's a 203 case. That is a Full Time 4WD case.
Normal pavement driving is hi and with towing or extreme loads in wet, lo
Hi lock on dirt roads with minimal traction and lo loc in very low traction crawling situations.

Somewhere on the back of the case will be a round aluminum tag that says New Process Gear NPG-203. The tag will have either a red or blue gear embossed on the tag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got new floor pans the other day, I have both sides cut out and ready to go. I will do some welding tomorrow. Any tips on welding the pans in?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can someone tell me how long a 76 4x4 club cab long bed is? Will a 16 foot trailer be long enough to haul the truck?
My 74 3/4 PW club cab has a 9 or 9.6 foot bed can't quite remeber off the top of my head but I do know its longer than 8 ft. The only reason I think of such a length is it was just standard on Dodge trucks sinc ethe 30's. You could always measure with a tape.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
That's interesting. Most beds longer than 8 died in the '60's
Dodge did have a standard Utiline bed that was 9' and maybe it lasted longer, or it was retrofitted by a previous owner?

Reactions: Cornupenuria
T

·
0 Posts
It's only eight foot. And the other guys t-case is an NP203 if it has that shifter.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's interesting. Most beds longer than 8 died in the '60's
Dodge did have a standard Utiline bed that was 9' and maybe it lasted longer, or it was retrofitted by a previous owner?
My '71 D300 Utiline had a bed that was just over 9'. I still haven't found a good picture of that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts