Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 440 block. The casting is 4006630-440-1.
From what I understand, this block is a "special" block, most likely from a police car...

i need help figuring out what heads i need. i will include a pic of the block...so ANY info regarding these heads and what type i need would be absolutely fantastic!!!

or

Here is another picture of the same block.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
I believe there was nothing other than the 452 heads used in the last few years of the 440, at least in the passenger car application. These have hardened valve seats and react well to porting. But you could bolt on countless variations of original and aftermarket heads. The determining factor would be what you are after and your price range.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe there was nothing other than the 452 heads used in the last few years of the 440, at least in the passenger car application. These have hardened valve seats and react well to porting. But you could bolt on countless variations of original and aftermarket heads. The determining factor would be what you are after and your price range.
thank you!!

thank you!!
do you know where i might find a set of these heads? used...

·
Registered
31 Posts
thank you!!

do you know where i might find a set of these heads? used...
I will have a pair becoming available but not until about the first of the year if you have not found any by that time. One of them is from a 75, it carries the previuos part number and one id the one you referenced. If you are still looking then, let me know. They are currently on my car. Only thing I can tell you is they need valave seals..

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Macy

As you search out and learn more and more about the 440
that you now have, you may soon learn that most 440 Blocks
are just like the other ones.

As you look down on the engine with the front of the engine
facing you. On the top side of the block next to the
Distributor is a Machine Stamp. This is the information
that will tell you the year and etc of your 440. The Block
Casting Number is what you have given.

All 440's and 400's from the start of the 1976 production
year to the end of the 1978 production year used the same
number 452 heads. They are all the same part number from
the 2 bbl 400 to a 4 bbl 440. This also applies if the 440
or 400 was in a RamCharger, a NewPort or Motor Home.

The color of the engine should be Torq, not Chysler Red
or whatever.

What type of vehicle are you planning on using this engine
in. Part two of this question is what type of driving to
you plan on this vehicle to do. This is a Cam Spec question.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depending on what type of performance your trying to get out of this engine, but to my understanding all heads for bb chrysler are interchangeable keeping in mind the cc's, if open or close chamber.. If you look on the for sale classifieds posting you will see my listing of many new in the box parts for BB Chryslers including a set of aluminum heads ready to bolt on depending on type of camshaft hyd. or solid.. If you like to speak here is my # 347-283-8983 or negritotaino[at]gmail.com. If you desire stock steel castings then I can call my cousin with your info & he might have a set, but all heads he has are rebuilt and are just as expensive as aftermarket.. Hope I can help.
Regards,
Juan

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
You can easily and without a problem use any big block heads on this engine. To keep the compression where it is now I recommend the open chamber heads, the closed chamber heads have smaller exhaust valves and tended to overheat at higher rpm (but it is repairable with larger exhaust valves). With this in mind, there are pretty much open to a pair of same casting numbered heads starting in 1968. All these heads from that date are open chambered and have about an 86cc chamber, all the ports are very similar and flow within about 5 percent of each other so no real major gains of one set over another, they are all pretty decent in stock form. From there it depends on what you want to spend or your intention, Edelbrock, 440 Source, Indy, and several other companies make over the counter aluminum heads, but they take a little extra in the parts department to get them to work (rocker arms, special head bolts, pushrods, things like that).

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I have a set of close chamber heads off a late 60's 383. I'd let them go for $50.00 plus shipping to where you are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Based on casting # it's from 1978 & the 1 on the end means it came with a 4bbl carb from 1966 to 1978. just some of the last 440's. Not a police nor high performance engine but still good for a build. I have built bb's from that yr that push 900 hp. You can use the 906, 452 & other casting #'s heads but again all depends on what type of performance your trying to get.
Regards,
Juan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts