Allpar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

So I decided the Cordoba (1977, 360) needed the extra two ports on the carburetor, and got me a used intake, and a new AVS Edelbrock carb. Pulled it apart, cleaned it up, and put it all back together, fired up nice and easy, revs fine, but isn’t idling quite right. I broke out the propane torch and ran it across the top of the intake where it mates to the head and sure enough, rpm’s speed up. Seems worse on the passenger side than the drivers side. Either way, I will tear down again and see where I may have gone wrong. Any tips or hints?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Torque spec and sequence are important first off. IIRC it's two if not 3 steps to reach final torque. Second is to find out if the manifold was machined to fit machined heads. You used a new gasket?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Torque spec and sequence are important first off. IIRC it's two if not 3 steps to reach final torque. Second is to find out if the manifold was machined to fit machined heads. You used a new gasket?
Did the proper torque sequence and spec. I now wonder whether the manifold may have been machine given the leaks. The heads are original to the car. And yes, new gaskets.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,627 Posts
The major hardware change here was the used intake manifold and that is when the problem started?
Nothing head-wise was changed.
Do you have a part # or year for this intake manifold? Is it a Mopar part for pre-1990 carbureted heads?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The major hardware change here was the used intake manifold and that is when the problem started?
Only thing changed is the manifold
Nothing head-wise was changed.

Do you have a part # or year for this intake manifold? Is it a Mopar part for pre-1990 carbureted heads?
I could get a part number (not right next to it at the moment), but it’s definitely pre 90s, this I am confident of.
Upon getting it apart yesterday, a fear of mine realized. The intake and valve covers were very snug with each other and I think little bits of the old gasket may have broke off and became lodged between the intake and head. This time I have the valve covers removed. Will have a results in a few days. I’m back to working, and the Sundance is running again so I’m not hard up for a car.

·
Super Moderator
39,971 Posts
If the intake was used on a motor with shaved heads, the intake may have been shaved to work in that application.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the intake was used on a motor with shaved heads, the intake may have been shaved to work in that application.
Yes, this is what I am coming to wonder and worry about. I will give another kick at the can, and if it doesn’t seal up, the original intake and carb are going back on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Warped manifold?

I bought a used one for my1978 Magnum 360 2bbl. it was warped..Anyways a duel plane and 750 Holley woke the stock 360 up..750 Holley works awesome on a 360!! My buddy had a Cordoba 360 with a 650 Carter and I left him standing still 3 car lengths by 70 mph! Both were oddly 1978's with 2.71 rear gears,both 360 2bbl single exhaust cars,before we were side by side..We both swapped intakes/carbs and added duel exhaust by the same exhaust shop and some Dynomax mufflers(sound the best on Mopars)..Both lean burn was thrown out/orange box ecu added

*This was 1993 I still own the Magnum all redone,my buddy sadly got into drugs and is gone..Yep i wrote a long novel,but yeah warped manifold if you checked everything else out!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Cleaned everything up (remembered to use a bit of RTV this time, as per the Haynes manual), all back together, and seems to run much better (propane doesn’t make the idle take off). Still a bit rough at idle, but I haven’t touched the carb in terms of tune. Need to adjust the throttle linkage on the trans, try to hook the cruise control up, and get a proper sized air breather. A little test drive hinted at really nice, smooth throttle response right off idle, and at any throttle input. The original carb always had a dead spot if I wasn’t hard in it. Moral of the story, as a back yard mechanic; Read and follow the instructions, do it right the first time.

Reactions: chuzz and valiant67

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,627 Posts
Be careful here. Most RTVs are incompatible around gasoline (even gas fumes), they can soften and swell.
Many gaskets are meant to be installed dry, but follow the installation instructions provided.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be careful here. Most RTVs are incompatible around gasoline (even gas fumes), they can soften and swell.
Many gaskets are meant to be installed dry, but follow the installation instructions provided.

View attachment 82250
Thankfully I did some reading prior to the second installation, and I did use the solvent based Motoseal from Permatex.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
LA engines, you have to put the intake gaskets on "right side up", or it will never seal properly.

Double check timing and advance, make sure you don't have a bad reluctor causing spark scatter.

Get rid of that hopelessly outdated (and pig-rich) Edelbrock, and find or build a good TQ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.