Allpar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am currently rebuilding a patina'd '78 B100 shorty over here in the UK and would like some info on my steering column please.
Very long story short, the van originally left the factory with a slant 6, column change manual transmission, manual steering and manual brakes.....very basic.
However, it now has a 318 and auto 727 tranny all fitted by a previous owner. The guy who did the conversion utilised the column shifter so that it now operates the auto tranny and that seems to work fine.
It still has manual steering and brakes.

I want to fit power steering and have everything to do the job, pump, pipes, rebuilt steering box, etc....all off a '78 van.

The power steering box is about 2-3" taller than the original manual box, so the steering column is now an issue.
My steering column is fixed (non tilting) & has just the ignition barrel and indicator stalk fitted, no cruise, no wash wipe, basic basic basic.

My question is.....

Is the internal steering column on a slider?

I know some cars have a 'D' shaped construction in the column whereby a male section slides through a female section, only I've been told by someone that he's sure this is the case with my Dodge.....if it is, that would save me trying to find another column, which is rare as hens teeth over here.

Any help and advise would be greatly appriciated.

Kind Regards, Jase.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bumper

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part Speedometer

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Wood

·
Super Moderator
21,017 Posts
You need a different steering column for power steering. They are not adjustable for length.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
16,952 Posts
I see tilt & non-tilt columns for manual or automatic (A727) gearboxes. The manual & power steering use a different shafts/flanges (#49) & couplings (#53/55). The 3-speed manual would be shifted on the column, the 4-speed OD manual (A833) would have a floor shifter.
The column jacket is collapsible with a crush-force. A non-serviceable sliding coupling is under the column jacket lattice (#33).
Column service is best performed when removed from the vehicle and placed on a bench.

Font Parallel Auto part Line art Drawing

Font Material property Number Document Pattern

Font Parallel Number Pattern Document

·
KOG
1,907 Posts
As much as it's going to be financially painful you really are going to have to bite the bullet and have a column shipped in from the U.S. Yes, there are sliding elements in the existing column for crash safety, but there's no way to modify the column without losing its ability to telscope in a crash. The thing you have going for you is that the column you need is by far the most common one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jase;

In the 1990s(?) I had my 73 B100 3 speed converted to an automatic, then in 2002 I replaced the steering column with a used tilt column that I thought came from an 80s Dodge Van. It’s been a long time and my memory is not what it used to be but I did use a stock Mopar coupler and a coupler re-build kit to make everything work. My Van now has over 100K miles since the conversion and all is still good.
The tilt column had the Ignition switch on the column (instead of the dash), cruise controls that I had to Map and re-wire to the 73 wiring harness. The most important thing I learned is that Dodge AND GM both used Columns built by an auto supplier called “Saginaw”. I found that most all of the columns & parts between 70s era GMs & Chryslers were interchangeable., this may open up the availability of parts?
The “DD” column side is on the Chrysler / Saginaw tilt column, the gear box side is the stock 1973 power steering box with a .625” dia. splined shaft with 36 splines (5/8-36).
What I think is the stock coupler is shown below, I can no longer find the coupler kit but a link to Mopar coupler parts is here: MOPAR PERFORMANCE STEERING PARTS, there is probably more sites selling these parts, they are kind of pricey now.
The coupler bolted onto the “D” shaft and clamped on the Gear Box Splined shaft.
Flaming River offers a part that might also work, see it here: 5/8"-36 X 3/4" DD Double U-Joint.
Good Luck!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Gas Composite material Nickel Auto part Metal

Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Wood Auto part

Car Hood Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts