Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody hope all is well. I’m writing a post to get your opinions on this cheap d?? I found. It’s a 1979 dodge d something (idk what the seller can’t tell me either but I believe it’s a D150) with a 318 small block a 4 speed manual transmission. The truck itself is pretty beat up but it’s only $650 and supposedly only needs a fuel pump to be drivable.

I’m looking for a cheap truck that I can use to haul around parts and the occasional project car as well as have a good time in such as loading junk in the back and taking some light dirt trails off road to go camping or a day trip to lake etc. do you think this would fit the bill and is a good deal for the price? I have some pictures of the truck here but no links to the add because it’s offer up.

thanks
Jarod

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,267 Posts
A fuel pump is cheap and easy to install, so why hasn't the seller done this? those are the questions I always ask the seller.
Most of the time easy fixes to be driveable end up requiring a lot more repairs. If you can get it for that price and are prepared to put another $1000 or more into it, then I'd consider it.

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
The price is very reasonable, but it's difficult to say whether it's a good deal without looking at it. It's a rare used vehicle that has only one problem; it might also need a carb rebuild due to ethanol in the gas, and if it's as beat up as you say, the suspension might be suspect. Expect mediocre gas mileage, maybe 15 mpg or less. The 318 is a good workhorse, and should be reliable if it's been well-maintained, but it's not an economy engine. It looks simple to work on when necessary. You might check your local parts stores and junkyards for parts availability. Here's what Nada says:

1979 Dodge D150 Custom 1/2 Ton Club Cab LWB Prices, Values & D150 Custom 1/2 Ton Club Cab LWB Price Specs (at https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1979/Dodge/D150-Custom/1-2-Ton-Club-Cab-LWB/Values )

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I'd offer him $500 bucks and take my chances. Looks to be in decent enough shape to risk that.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello everybody hope all is well. I’m writing a post to get your opinions on this cheap d?? I found. It’s a 1979 dodge d something (idk what the seller can’t tell me either but I believe it’s a D150) with a 318 small block a 4 speed manual transmission. The truck itself is pretty beat up but it’s only $650 and supposedly only needs a fuel pump to be drivable.

I’m looking for a cheap truck that I can use to haul around parts and the occasional project car as well as have a good time in such as loading junk in the back and taking some light dirt trails off road to go camping or a day trip to lake etc. do you think this would fit the bill and is a good deal for the price? I have some pictures of the truck here but no links to the add because it’s offer up.

thanks
Jarod
Looks good for the price! It is not a Power Wagon though. Make sure the doors are in good shape. Parts are hard to come by. I have a stock pile for my 1979.

·
Premium Member
20,100 Posts
You can get parts without too much difficulty thought LMC Truck, they are pretty much the same for a decade or more, so not a major concern for me. Your second thing to consider is a new timing chain, what with 200K on the odometer, but that is an easy and available fix. Bushings for suspension isn't much of an issue and available, so not an issue, all rubber is available, too, but like valiant67 said, expect to add about $1000 to the price to fix things down the road. The 4spd should be the aluminum case A833OD trans, which is a good transmission, just make sure you don't use 4th gear until you are above 40mph, it's a .71 ratio overdrive and a little hard on the drivetrain unless on the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your reply’s. I do know it’s not a power wagon I’m not sure why he called it one. We actually have a LRE that I have worked on and fixed so I’m familiar with these D series trucks just not sure if this was a good deal. And I can fix things as they break. I’m not planning on putting many miles on it as it will be my secondary vehicle. Parts can be a pain I’ve found out with our LRE. Does anyone know what the towing capacity of these would be with a 318 and a 4 speed. I thought it was a 435 4 speed with the granny low gear. Also does anyone know how to add AC to these trucks I can’t find the kits anywhere online. Thanks

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Thank you all for your reply’s. I do know it’s not a power wagon I’m not sure why he called it one. We actually have a LRE that I have worked on and fixed so I’m familiar with these D series trucks just not sure if this was a good deal. And I can fix things as they break. I’m not planning on putting many miles on it as it will be my secondary vehicle. Parts can be a pain I’ve found out with our LRE. Does anyone know what the towing capacity of these would be with a 318 and a 4 speed. I thought it was a 435 4 speed with the granny low gear. Also does anyone know how to add AC to these trucks I can’t find the kits anywhere online. Thanks
Can't help with much info, but I installed a Vintage Air unit in my '73 D100, and with all the room available under the dash and the hood, it was an easy installation. There was no kit available, but the Vintage Air techs were helpful when ordering parts and working any problems.

If you choose that route, I have a few pictures to give you an idea of what's involved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something that sparked my attention is supposedly all this needs is a fuel pump to work. So I asked the guy if I could install one myself and see if it works before I buy it and the guy said no. Sounds a little sketchy to me like maybe he doesn’t want me to find something out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some other info is I found another $600 truck now. A 74 D200 with a unknown engine and a 5 speed manual ( I don’t think that’s original) supposedly has AC as well. I’m a senior in HS and I fixed up our LRE so I know how to rebuild/maintain engine and transmission work so that’s not what fully scares me. I just need something that will do minor off road and haul crap while being somewhat cheap. Here are pics of the other truck

Attachments

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
For about the same money, I'd go with the utility bed truck. At least you KNOW it runs and has working a/c. Two less issues to deal with. And I think you can haul a lot of stuff with that one too.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Super Moderator
37,267 Posts
If towing is important, a D200 is going to be rated to tow more than a D100/D150.

·
Premium Member
20,100 Posts
The 5spd is not original, those didn't become available until 1987 or so. It is a 3/4 ton truck, so hauling capacity is higher. As far as the 4spd on the other truck goes, you would have to look underneath the truck to see if there are shifting rods on the driver's side of the transmission case to tell if it is the A-833OD (aluminum case, cast iron tailshaft), or no shifting rods for the NP-435.

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
Does anyone know what the towing capacity of these would be with a 318 and a 4 speed.
Should be around 5,000 pounds, but check the sticker in the door.

So I asked the guy if I could install one myself and see if it works before I buy it and the guy said no. Sounds a little sketchy to me like maybe he doesn’t want me to find something out.
You can check it without adding parts. If enough gas is in the tank and it cranks without firing, check the carb to see if gas is being squirted into it when you give it some throttle. If so, fuel delivery isn't the problem; it's probably not getting spark, which can be a coil, disconnected or bad wire, bad ignition module, maybe a bad lean-burn, or something else. The fuel flowchart will start with the carb:

If no gas is being sprayed into the carb, but gas is coming out of the gas filter, the carb should be rebuilt or replaced.
If gas is coming out of the fuel pump, but not the gas filter, replace the gas filter. Also make sure that the filter is installed in the right direction.
If gas is coming out of the tank, but not the fuel pump, replace the fuel pump.
If gas isn't coming out of the tank, the line might be blocked with crud or rust, the pick-up/sending unit might be bad, or the tank might need draining and cleaning.

The deeper you go, the more could be wrong. For example, replacing the fuel pump won't guarantee that the gas filter and carb are good. You should probably replace the gas filter at the same time, anyway. Plastic filters for these trucks (and other Mopars) used to be pretty common at swap meets for $1 each. You'll probably want one for 5/16" lines.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
This one looks like a 360 carb.

Thanks
Randy

thanks
Jarod

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
This one looks like a 360 carb.
Good catch. Was this an optional carb on the 318? I think the 1.25" BBD was standard, while the 1.5" BBD was standard on the 360. You might check the VIN for the correct engine; 5th character is E for 318-1, F for 360, G for 318-3, K or T for 360. It's possible that it has a 318, and at some point the intake manifold was replaced with one from a 360.

·
Super Moderator
37,267 Posts
The 318 never got the larger carb. You'd have to swap the intake to change between a 318/360 carb.
If ti was a 318 truck and someone swapped a 360 into it, you could have a vibration issue if the proper torque converter and harmonic balancer are not installed. The 318 is internally balanced, the 360 externally.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I, too think that may be a 360 in there as well, going by the carburetor.

·
Premium Member
20,100 Posts
Couple visual differences is a larger harmonic balancer for the external balance vice internal balance crankshaft, small pan edge around the timing chain, but easiest way is to look at the casting numbers on the side of the engine, you will see cast in the numbers 318, 340, or 360 (273 is probably cast, too but not applicable, along with the 340), and then the rest of the numbers cast. There may also be a dash behind the number and a 1 through 4, the larger the number the newer the block.

Reactions: Bearhawke

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would go with the 1979 D150. Worst case the engine is toast. The 5.2L and 5.9L magnum engines will drop right in with relatively little work. A running 5.9L magnum can be had for $300

1 - 20 of 21 Posts