Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this question is in the wrong section. What do you guys think is the life span for the 645rfe? Do you think it will eventually be replaced with the 8 speed across the board? More specifically, do you think the 8 speed will ever be available in the Ram 1500 Express trucks? Any rumors out there?

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Joe_K said:
I apologize if this question is in the wrong section. What do you guys think is the life span for the 645rfe? Do you think it will eventually be replaced with the 8 speed across the board? More specifically, do you think the 8 speed will ever be available in the Ram 1500 Express trucks? Any rumors out there?
Why wouldn't it? As production ramps up the 8 speed should go across the line on 1/2 Ton Ram trucks.

Don't expect it this year though.

Mike

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Once they have the production capacity, expect 8HP to replace 645RFE and WA580...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I suspect the 645RFE will die with the 4.7L V8. The last hold out for the WA580 should be the Wrangler. I don't believe this generation is scheduled to receive the ZF8.

It will be interesting to see how long the 68RFE sticks around.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am curious about why it's taking so long to ramp up production for the 8 speed. I thought they started 8 speed production at least 3-4 months ago, and were supposed to start building the 9 speed in late January.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The production capacity is one of the reasons for the Delay in Ram with HEMI and HEMI L- cars.

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
Here, I disagree. The 65RFE has a definitely place -- as the budget transmission, and as an option for those who distrust the eight-speed. Well, maybe until five-ten years from now when the eight speed has established itself as a truck transmission.

Seriously, for those who don't want to pay more, the 65RFE is there.

Automatic transmissions (replacements) are listing at $2,800 at Wyckoff Mopar; eight-speeds, while not shown for trucks, are $3,834 for V6 300 cars. I assume Ram will cost more due to the higher capability? Figure it costs around a thousand more, though, per unit... there are buyers who would save that.

On Chrysler Canada's site, the eight-speed adds $2,500 to the price of a Ram 1500 Tradesman, all else being equal. That's a big difference.

I agree that the Mercedes unit should die out with Wrangler, though mostly because it's a Mercedes unit... I'm sure someone makes a transmission that would work in there ;)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
isn't ITP only producing the 8hp45 (845re) at this point? all 8hp70 trannies are coming from ZF i think...those are used behind the hemi motors (5.7 and 6.4l). i suspect the 65rfe won't go bye bye until there is more capacity at the ITP plants?? oh2o???

DaveAdmin said:
Here, I disagree. The 65RFE has a definitely place -- as the budget transmission, and as an option for those who distrust the eight-speed. Well, maybe until five-ten years from now when the eight speed has established itself as a truck transmission.

Seriously, for those who don't want to pay more, the 65RFE is there.

Automatic transmissions (replacements) are listing at $2,800 at Wyckoff Mopar; eight-speeds, while not shown for trucks, are $3,834 for V6 300 cars. I assume Ram will cost more due to the higher capability? Figure it costs around a thousand more, though, per unit... there are buyers who would save that.

On Chrysler Canada's site, the eight-speed adds $2,500 to the price of a Ram 1500 Tradesman, all else being equal. That's a big difference.

I agree that the Mercedes unit should die out with Wrangler, though mostly because it's a Mercedes unit... I'm sure someone makes a transmission that would work in there ;)
when i built a 4x4 ram on nadaguides...the 8hp was only $500 more than the 65RFE...fwiw. plus, that extra $500 bucks will basically get lost in the routine fire sales that we see on light trucks! :)

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
The 645RFE (Really a 545RFE with driver access to the 2nd Prime gear.) is a great transmission. Yes, it has funny gears, but it was purpose built to sit behind the 5.7L Hemi. It's bullet-proof in just about every application, and relies on basic principles learned back in 727s. Yeah, it's that good.

It is being phased out in favor of the 8-speeds. The 8-speeds are (presently) weaker than the 645RFE, but more efficient.

If your question is related to longevity of the transmission, I wouldn't worry. The people that have issues with them abuse the crap out of them and don't maintain them. If your question is about the transmission's production life, then it's on the way out. CAFE is mandating that fuel economy gets even more priority, and the 8-speed offers that in a package that can work acrossed the board with numerous arcitectures. (The X45RFE tranmissions were only used in Rams, Cherokees, and Durangos, and recently only in Rams, due to it's bulk. The ZF 8-speed doesn't have that issue, so it makes sense for Chrysler to use one transmission in all the 8-cylinder-available cars and trucks.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Jerry Simcik said:
The 8-speeds are (presently) weaker than the 645RFE.
based on what? the 8hp70 is rated to nearly 520 lb/ft. that's much higher than the 65RFE... i suspect you are confusing the 65RFE with the 68RFE?? :confused:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jerry Simcik said:
The 645RFE (Really a 545RFE with driver access to the 2nd Prime gear.) is a great transmission. Yes, it has funny gears, but it was purpose built to sit behind the 5.7L Hemi. It's bullet-proof in just about every application, and relies on basic principles learned back in 727s. Yeah, it's that good.

It is being phased out in favor of the 8-speeds. The 8-speeds are (presently) weaker than the 645RFE, but more efficient.

If your question is related to longevity of the transmission, I wouldn't worry. The people that have issues with them abuse the crap out of them and don't maintain them. If your question is about the transmission's production life, then it's on the way out. CAFE is mandating that fuel economy gets even more priority, and the 8-speed offers that in a package that can work acrossed the board with numerous arcitectures. (The X45RFE tranmissions were only used in Rams, Cherokees, and Durangos, and recently only in Rams, due to it's bulk. The ZF 8-speed doesn't have that issue, so it makes sense for Chrysler to use one transmission in all the 8-cylinder-available cars and trucks.
Production life is what I was wondering. After driving a couple vehicles with the 3.6 8-speed combo, the 645RFE feels clunky and weird to me. I'd love to drive the Hemi with the 8 speed, and since I like the Express package, I was hoping it would be part of it in the future.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Once Again It TAKES A WHILE TO RAMP UP TO FULL PRODUCTION ! ! !

TMD at TEC. :runaway:

I Put 159,000 Miles on a 4.7L 4X4 Dakota Quad Cab a 545RFE Trans It Was 100% Flawless for 11 Years.

TMD (Your Car, Truck or Jeep My 3.6L Engine !)

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's not just that the X45RFE has "funny" gears; they are downright ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with a six-speed tranny that makes good balanced use of six well-stepped ratios. Even the new nine speed tranny with four overdrive ratios does not have a small ratio step of 1.12, (as between 4th and 5th in the 545). (I'm not sure how the six ratios are used in the 645.) And to top it off, it sure looks like they blew it again with the changes to the 62 tranny for the ProMaster. The ProMaster is a heavier vehicle, with a heavier payload than any other fwd vehicle the 62 is currently being used in, and instead of gearing the transmission (or the transaxle), lower to handle the heavier weight, it is geared higher.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The Mad Duck said:

I Put 159,000 Miles on a 4.7L 4X4 Dakota Quad Cab a 545RFE Trans It Was 100% Flawless for 11 Years.

306,000 miles now on my 45RFE/4.7L combo in my '01 Durango.
Same here, its been 100% flawless and still going strong.
How long will these transmissions last???

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had an '05 Dakota, '06 Ram, and now a 2012 Ram, so I've put my share of miles on these transmissions. I know they last a while and that wasn't my question. I was just wondering if we'll see the 8 speed across the board. The *45rfe trans have served their purpose, but drive a car with the new 8 speeds and I guarantee you will want one. It's that good and I've only driven the 3.6. If the 8 speed makes it's way into the Express in a few years I foresee a trade in my future.

·
3,813 Posts
Jerry Simcik said:
Huh? In what way are they weaker. They are rated for more torque than the 645 in some configurations and have been proven in the industry for a long while now in other brands... they are not weaker in any way shape or form.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Not only is the "weaker" comment about the 8 speed ridiculous, the 8 speed has been a huge winner on the warranty side. Very few issues and very dependable so far.

Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike V. said:
Not only is the "weaker" comment about the 8 speed ridiculous, the 8 speed has been a huge winner on the warranty side. Very few issues and very dependable so far.

Mike
Good to hear, not that we shouldn't expect it. These are proven transmissions overseas.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
btw, where did you guys come up with the 645RFE nomenclature? as i undestand it, the 545RFE became the 65RFE and 66RFE (68RFE gearset) when software changes were implemented on the 545RFE a couple years ago to allow for accessing the 2nd "prime" ratio manually.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I agree, the 545RFE is solid and dependable. I never had a problem with it towing or otherwise. The gearing however left much to be desired for me. It's strange that with the potential of 3 planetary gears which allowed for more forward gears than the 4-speeds of the day they chose to mimic a 4-speed.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts