Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on Ram forum, and a member there posted a window sticker with the MPG for the 8 speed Hemi 4X4. Milage was 15 City 21 HWY.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Challenger6.4 said:
WindowSticker.pdf.zipI was on Ram forum, and a member there posted a window sticker with the MPG for the 8 speed Hemi 4X4.
pdf. doesn't reference doesn't work

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
15 City - 17 Combined - 21 Highway.

They *might* be able to pull off 23 highway in the 4x2. That'll be the magic number to hit, as that is what the EcoBoost is rated at.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Judging from past Chrysler V8 4X4 vs 4X2 mpgs... the 4X2 Ram Hemi 8spd should get one of the following with 15/21 4X4:

15/22
16/21
16/22

So it will either match or fall to Ecoboost

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,103 Posts
Hmm, let me see, Turbo or V8, Turbo or V8, 1 MPG difference? I think I would settle for the V8 and less maintenance.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
jerseyjoe said:
Hmm, let me see, Turbo or V8, Turbo or V8, 1 MPG difference? I think I would settle for the V8 and less maintenance.
Ford will spin in.

Mike

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Well, if the current model were any indication, there is generally a 1 MPG city / highway hit for 4x4. So it'd seem 16 / 22 is a pretty fair guess. But of course, no guarantee, just seems pretty likely. Matching Ford is more than OK. Having a NA V8 is going to offer a lot of advantages. Real world driving will probably be superior, but where it is going to completely and utterly pulverize the Ford is under any kind of load. If you actually use your truck for anything, the Hemi / 8 spd will match the Ford on unloaded duty, but will likely absolutely kill it when really put to work.

I have heard some pretty atrocious numbers for the Ecoboost when it is put to work. The old V8 is apparently the way the go if you are actually going to be making heavy use of the truck.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Bumonbox, the Ecoboost drinks like a fish when loaded.

Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think that is what he means. The Ecoboost would pull a load just as nice and at less rpm but will drink fuel to do it. But really no gas motor does great on fuel when pulling a load. Although most 1/2 tons are not used to pull daily anyway. Our coming Ecodiesel should be the cats meow for regular light and moderate or 1/2 ton towing.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Ramfan said:
I think that is what he means. The Ecoboost would pull a load just as nice and at less rpm but will drink fuel to do it. But really no gas motor does great on fuel when pulling a load. Although most 1/2 tons are not used to pull daily anyway. Our coming Ecodiesel should be the cats meow for regular light and moderate or 1/2 ton towing.
Yeah, but if your driving a distance, you are sure going to notice when you can't get over single digits on the highway. While gas motors generally don't do well towing, the ecoboost is already a good bit worse than Fords own V8 in the trucks on MPG. The turbo / super charged engines seem to take a much larger penalty when tasked. Accordingly, the potential fuel economy numbers seem to vary a lot more. It's less of an issue in sedans and what not, but trucks do actually get put to work some of the time, and for some people, quite often.

That's why, next to the Ford, I suspect the V8 will match fuel economy, but coming from an NA engine producing similar put will be more appealing in general. In the MPG dept, the Hemi may not touch a Diesel under load, but I'd bet it could double the ecoboost's numbers.

·
Administrator
35,237 Posts
It's possible that the eight speed might accentuate the difference between 4x4 and RWD in the trucks, if the 4x4 is substantially higher off the ground. The aero advantage of the RWD would be compounded by the high overdrive on the eight speed (it would be possible to stay in higher gears more often, with less wind resistance).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts