Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've gotten my hands on a used gen 3 hemi and am wanting to put it in my 83 d150 I know it will bolt up to my 904 with the right flex plate and am getting a rear sump oil pan .. trying to figure out motor mounts now and was wondering what others have used when doing this swap I know a few have been done I can't seem to find much info .. thanks for your help in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those also looking for info I will post what I find any input or leads will only help me and several others thanks

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I understand that the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same, however I don't know what issues you'll have with the oil pan clearing the frame, and obviously then there'll be the issue of the PCM not having a transmission that it knows how to talk to, so it may get angry.

If I were going to do this swap and leave it EFI, I'd probably want the whole shebang, engine, transmission, wiring harness, dash cluster, and computer...

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Spot on advice.
I would not attempt a modern engine swap without a matching trans, computer, harness,ECU, O2 sensor, water temp sensor and CPS.
As noted, if they can't "talk" to each other, your performance will not be worth the effort, unless you want simply power in a straight line and aren't worried about the full potential of power and mpg that this engine can provide.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
There is an interesting kit mentioned in an older issue of Mopar Action that uses a GM computer to run the Hemi without needing all the other computers the factory Hemi computer expects to find. I can't find that issue now to mention the company.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Computer problem is an easy fix .. having that programmed as a manual trans .. and I've found a company that sells a kit .. s&p .. will post web site once I'm home .. and to all the nay sayers I got my hemi with a wiring harness so no big deal with this swap to all others thank you for your time

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
80srams said:
Computer problem is an easy fix .. having that programmed as a manual trans .. and I've found a company that sells a kit .. s&p .. will post web site once I'm home .. and to all the nay sayers I got my hemi with a wiring harness so no big deal with this swap to all others thank you for your time
Lets be respectful, we aren't naysayers, we are trying to help you avoid problems.
I've installed brand new crate Hemi's in new Wranglers, I've installed many engines in vehicles not intended for them.
Just trying to inform you of the pitfalls.
Computer programming is not an easy fix, if you want to get the most out of the engine with fuel injection.
It will run, the issue is getting it to run at optimum, with BOTH power and fuel economy at their best.
Also, it depends greatly upon your location. I perform my swaps in CA, arguably an inane effort in the eyes of many. ;)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I perform my swaps in CA, arguably an inane effort in the eyes of many. ;)
On the other hand, to paraphrase Sinatra, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere... *grin*

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
NOTE: The increased power on the "test mule" occurred with only one plug per cylinder in operation. Why is that? Because the second plug on the Gen-3 Hemi is fundamentally there for emissions purposes. Remember, there are two wires off each Hemi coil, one for the "primary" plug on one cylinder, and the other to the "secondary" plug on the cylinder 360° away in the firing order. The "secondary" plug fires during the overlap period to help reduce emissions.
From their own article.

Can someone explain this to me? I think their use of 360° is in error, because that's right back where one started. If they meant 180°, to put a plug firing right at the tail end of the exhaust stroke and beginning of the intake stroke, wouldn't that lead to either backfiring out the exhaust or the intake?

If there were a reason to fire a spark plug any time other than when approaching the end of the compression stroke, wouldn't one just fire the same plug a second time in the cycle?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts