Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the owners manual and showed the fuseblock with the flasher in it, guess what mine don't have it so where is the flasher located

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Some of these cars have a relay panel mounted on the left kickpad behind the foot parking brake.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Somewhere yesterday I found a description of the fuse box and location and today I can't find it.DAHHH. It said that the lebaron flasher location was not on the fuse block but separate but near it. I will look today and see if I can find it.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also the dash lights do not work but messing around yesterday and turning the headlight knob from high to low at one point I noticed that the A/C control lite up but only in one spot, so I am thinking that the switch is bad.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
The instrument panel dimmer rheostat (which can be removed from the h/lamp switch for service) or the contact wipers may be worn or dirty?
You might want to invest in service manuals for this car. I believe that there were 3 volumes: Engine/Chassis, Fuel/Electrical and Wiring Diagrams.
Consider them a 'tool' cost. They will be very useful and will likely pay for themselves.
I have found inexpensive manuals with the covers missing and dog-eared pages, but otherwise complete. A large public library may also have factory service manuals.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The biggest problem is there is not a lot of info out on these cars and I bought this as a semi project so funds are limited. Today I checked the fuse and it was fine then checked to see if any voltage was coming to the fuse and there was none so now I have to figure out why and this fuse controls the turn signals and the engine fan.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
The biggest problem is there is not a lot of info out on these cars and I bought this as a semi project so funds are limited. Today I checked the fuse and it was fine then checked to see if any voltage was coming to the fuse and there was none so now I have to figure out why and this fuse controls the turn signals and the engine fan.
My 84 Daytona Turbo Z has a fusible link underhood for the cooling fan. A power wire off the battery post feeds an 'octopus' rubber-coated splice about the size of the palm of my hand, with about 7 wires feeding out from it. One of those is the cooling fan power and the fusible link. Check for any burned wires there, or cracked or broken connections.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First thanks for the reply's . If it was a flusiable link would more things be disabled, The headlights and tail lights, brake lights and even the emergency flashers work. The things that don't work are the dash lights ( which I think is the headlight switch )the turn signals and this fuse controls the electric fan and turn signals which is my biggest worry, don't want to drive and have it overheat.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
First thanks for the reply's . If it was a flusiable link would more things be disabled, The headlights and tail lights, brake lights and even the emergency flashers work. The things that don't work are the dash lights ( which I think is the headlight switch )the turn signals and this fuse controls the electric fan and turn signals which is my biggest worry, don't want to drive and have it overheat.
There are SEVERAL fusible links in these cars, not the single one that was prevalent in the 1960s. Check the wiring harness, it's behind the battery toward the airbox. Those items you listed are not on the same fusible link as the cooling fan.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing is when working on the car yesterday by the fuse block I noticed that a relay was getting very hot, checked the owners manual and it said it was the timed delay relay, what is this for ? Also when looking at the positive cable on the battery there are 3 leads on it and one has a black connector on it that looks like it can be pulled apart, is this a fusible link it is pretty good sized.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
That relay is for the flashers or turn signals, I believe, and is normally always that hot.

No, that connector is not a fusible link, it is simply a connector.

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
A time delay relay is often for interior courtesy lights to keep a light on for a certain length of time after the door is closed. In general, the time delay is powered any time the door is open, then keeps a light (like the keyhole light or some other courtesy light on for a few seconds). Once that has occurred, the temperature of the relay drops.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info, when working on car had the door open so that explains why the relay got hot.( will just keep it out until find the problem ) Now back to the problem of the turn signals and radiator fan not getting any power . When working on the fuse block there is a plug shaped like a T with 2 wires which look to be black and grey I am thinking that this could be for a option the car doesn't have, I can't find anywhere for it to plug in. Also found the relay for the turn signals but where is the relay for the emergency flashers.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the circuits I am looking at, maybe I can figure out what is happening.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I have the 1984 FSM, but won't be home until very late tonight. Can look at it tomorrow night. Can you find that 'octopus' connector that the fusible links run from? It's fed by a red wire from the battery.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the 1984 FSM, but won't be home until very late tonight. Can look at it tomorrow night. Can you find that 'octopus' connector that the fusible links run from? It's fed by a red wire from the battery.
Will look and see if I can find it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Also when looking at the positive cable on the battery there are 3 leads on it and one has a black connector on it that looks like it can be pulled apart, is this a fusible link it is pretty good sized.
Probably not the official name but that connector was referred to as the" show room" connector.

Dealers could easily disconnect battery power while the car was on display.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 20 of 51 Posts