Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Just checked the fan to see if it was working and it is just not getting voltage to it.
Test the fan by jumpering battery power to it directly.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Sorry I didn't get to the schematic last night, I had an accident on the way home and was a little shaken.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Yup. About a 10 mph crash, I rear-ended him. Stopped at an off-ramp with one car stopped ahead of me waiting to turn right. He drove off, I looked left to check traffic, started moving, turned right and BANG. He had stopped 50 feet after turning right. Luckily no one appears to be hurt, although he said the word Whiplash. My car only had a banged up front license plate holder, he only had a small shallow crease in his rubber bumper from my license plate holder. Waiting to hear what he does, whether I can pay out of pocket, or if we have to report it, and whether he claims injury. First accident in 25 years and over 500,000 miles of driving, but I'm still pissed that I let it happen.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yup. About a 10 mph crash, I rear-ended him. Stopped at an off-ramp with one car stopped ahead of me waiting to turn right. He drove off, I looked left to check traffic, started moving, turned right and BANG. He had stopped 50 feet after turning right. Luckily no one appears to be hurt, although he said the word Whiplash. My car only had a banged up front license plate holder, he only had a small shallow crease in his rubber bumper from my license plate holder. Waiting to hear what he does, whether I can pay out of pocket, or if we have to report it, and whether he claims injury. First accident in 25 years and over 500,000 miles of driving, but I'm still pissed that I let it happen.
Sounds like what happened to me about a year ago, got off the ramp and the guy in front of me started to move and then stopped and Bam I hit him but he was driving a big suburban with a trailer hitch so didn't do anything to his truck mine dented in the stupid plastic bumper , if it would have been steel that wouldn't have happened, but we looked at it and he said no big deal and drove off. Did you file a police report or just exchange info. First where I live he would have to go to a doctor to get anything by filing a claim. Glad that you are OK

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I told him if it's under the reporting limit of $1,000, I'd pay out of pocket, otherwise we have to file. And if he's injured, we have to file. It would go on my record for 6 years and probably cost me $400 or more a year extra for 6 years. Right now I only pay about $480 per vehicle for insurance; but at least I have optional liability coverage well above the minimum.

We both forgot to exchange phone numbers and email, we just have each other's names and addresses. But I found a phone number for him online, will call tonight just to give him my contact info and see where he leads the conversation.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I told him if it's under the reporting limit of $1,000, I'd pay out of pocket, otherwise we have to file. And if he's injured, we have to file. It would go on my record for 6 years and probably cost me $400 or more a year extra for 6 years. Right now I only pay about $480 per vehicle for insurance; but at least I have optional liability coverage well above the minimum.

We both forgot to exchange phone numbers and email, we just have each other's names and addresses. But I found a phone number for him online, will call tonight just to give him my contact info and see where he leads the conversation.
Like I said where I live to prove any injuries he would have to get a statement from a doctor and has only so much time to do it. I would check with my insurance agent and find out what to do. Remember with no police report all they have is his word against yours. Unless he took pictures. I always find out where I stand legally so when I talk I have facts to back me up.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Also about my problem with car electrical problems I have found to fix them is usually easy the hard part is finding out what is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
In many electrical or interior water leak-type concerns etc, 'diagnosis' is 90% of the repair time and effort.
The solution is usually the easy part. :)

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I use to have a guy that would come out and tell you exactly what was wrong in 15 minutes but he retired and most of the guys today don't have a clue about it.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
So, from the 1984 FSM:

Power for the cooling fan goes from battery positive terminal to the black circular connector that you found, to a red 8 AWG wire that leads to the octopus. From there many wires fan out, one of them is a 20 AWG orange wire (your color may be different) that is a fusible link for the HVAC system. The part that is the fusible link is the 20 AWG orange. Downstream from that is a 14 AWG gray wire that supplies power to the load side of the cooling fan relay. That relay is one of the three on the left fenderwell near the cowl. A 14 AWG light green wire runs from the relay to the cooling fan. The ground side of the cooling fan motor should be a 12 AWG black wire.

The coil side of the relay is an 18 AWG dark blue/pink stripe wire back to the computer, which switches the coil low. The other coil wire is 14 AWG dark blue, and should be the one powered off the ignition key.

If you have a thermal radiator fan switch in your radiator, the wire from that to the relay coil is 18 AWG brown.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
The biggest problem is there is not a lot of info out on these cars and I bought this as a semi project so funds are limited. Today I checked the fuse and it was fine then checked to see if any voltage was coming to the fuse and there was none so now I have to figure out why and this fuse controls the turn signals and the engine fan.
Did you test with ignition key turned on? These functions are switched off by the key, upstream of the fuse. For 1984, turn signals are powered off fuse #10, a 20 amp fuse that has the ignition key upstream.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Every time I have tried it the key was on. Looked at the back of the fuse block and everything looks connected. The biggest thing bugging me is the plug hanging down by the fuse block it looks like a T with 2 wires which look to be black and grey.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Does this car have a separate flasher for the hazard warning and turn signal Under the dash I see one and on the fuse block there is none..

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
There is always a separate flasher on cars of that vintage.
The turn signal flasher is load sensitive. It either won't flash or flashes very rapidly (depends on the design used that year) when a bulb is out.
The emergency flasher is not (or at least not as sensitive) load dependent. The emergency flasher will continue to flash as the same speed when a bulb is out.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Every time I have tried it the key was on. Looked at the back of the fuse block and everything looks connected. The biggest thing bugging me is the plug hanging down by the fuse block it looks like a T with 2 wires which look to be black and grey.
How about the adjacent fuses, do they also have voltage? Specifically, how are you testing for voltage at the fuse? Each end to ground with a voltmeter in DCV position, or test light, or what?

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
There is always a separate flasher on cars of that vintage.
The turn signal flasher is load sensitive. It either won't flash or flashes very rapidly (depends on the design used that year) when a bulb is out.
The emergency flasher is not (or at least not as sensitive) load dependent. The emergency flasher will continue to flash as the same speed when a bulb is out.
Sure would like to know where it is I look and only see one. And the plug I was talking about it looks like a flasher would not fit.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Will dig into my 84 Daytona and photograph what I can this weekend.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have a 87 lebaron ( basically the same car ) and went and looked at the fuse bock well it has a spot for the flasher which the 82 doesn't.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts